Contact Us


Department of Mathematics
phone: (208) 885-6742
fax: (208) 885-5843
300 Brink Hall

Mailing Address
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 1103
Moscow, ID 83844-1103

What Class should you take?

Be sure to first check with your major advisor(s) to determine your first mathematics course.

One way to determine which course you are qualified to take is by ACT Math, SAT Math or COMPASS Math scores. See the chart below to determine which course you are eligible to take.

Group ACT Math   SAT Math   Compass You can take:
Mth1 0 - 18 or 200 - 460 or Algebra < 36 Math 108, 123*
Mth2 19 - 21 or 470 - 510 or 36 ≤ Algebra < 61
College Algebra < 45
Math 108, 123*, 130*
Mth3 22 - 26 or 520 - 600 or Algebra ≥ 61
45 ≤ College Algebra < 49
Math 108, 123*, 130*, 143, 144
Mth4 27 - 28 or 610 - 640 or 49 ≤ College Algebra < 51 Math 108, 123*, 130*, 143, 144, 160*
Mth5 29 - 36 or 650 - 800 or College Algebra ≥ 51
Trigonometry ≥ 51
Math 108, 123*, 130*, 143, 160*,144, 170, 176*

*WARNING: Do not automatically enroll in the “highest” math course available based on your exam scores.
Many courses (including Math 123, Math 130, Math 160, and Math 176) are terminal courses and do not
provide the prerequisite preparation needed for other required courses. Check with your adviser and/or the
Math department to determine which course is best for you.

In order to support and improve the success of our students the Mathematics Department has updated its override policy.  Effective immediately the Mathematics Department will be following pre-requisite requirements as described in the course catalog without exception. 

  • Overrides will be provided only to those students who have satisfied the prerequisites either by having completed the prerequisite course or having sufficient exam scores.  If the student has documentation showing updated exam scores or unofficial transcripts they should come to the mathematics main office or submit transcript or scores by fax/email for the override. We must see the updated scores to provide the override.  We will no longer be able to give overrides to students who are "on track" to complete the prerequisites for a course. Please send email messages requesting overrides to with official scores or transcripts.
  • If a student does not feel their exam scores accurately portray their mathematical experience they will need to take a compass math test to be re-evaluated. 
  • If a student believes he or she would test into a course higher than Math 170 they will need to contact the mathematics main office to be evaluated. To place into a course above Math 170, a student will need to have proof of successful completion of prerequisite courses on an official or unofficial transcript.

If you are not satisfied with your ACT or SAT placement, you are strongly encouraged to CHALLENGE YOUR PLACEMENT by scoring high enough on the computerized COMPASS math test.

To take the Compass Placement Exams at UI go to the UI Counseling and Testing Center, 306 Continuing Education Building, 885-6716. The exam is also given at all universities and colleges in Idaho, and at many throughout the U.S. Ask them to forward your results to the UI Admissions Office and the Mathematics Department.  

If you have any questions, please contact the Mathematics Office at 208-885-6742.