Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


EIPRS Checklist Definitions

  • When should I mark the "are Human Subjects involved" question as "yes"?
    The box should be checked "yes" when the activities meet the definition of "research" AND the project involves "Human Subjects" or "private information."  Some examples of activities that generally meet the definition of "Human Subjects" are primary human tissue samples, established human cell lines if obtained from other than publicly available sources, drug administration, food taste tests, surveys, questionnaires, interviews, archival analysis/data mining, or observation of behavior.  All primary awards that include non-exempt Human Subjects research activities must check the "yes" box even if all the human subjects' research is subcontracted to other sites.  This is because OHRP considers the primary awardee to be engaged in the Human Subjects research. For more information, visit the Office of Research Assurances (ORA) website or the Office of Human Protections website.
  • What are the criteria for indicating a "yes" to whether experimental animals are involved?
    If vertebrate animals are going to be used in teaching, demonstrations, research, or product testing then this box should be marked as "yes" so that the proposal can be reviewed by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).  If animal samples are obtained from live animals at other institutions then you should also check the "yes" box and provide a copy of that institution's approval for the work to the UI Campus Veterinarian.  This approval must include the Animal Welfare Assurance number of the institution providing the samples.  For questions you may contact the IACUC Coordinator at 208-885-7258.  Additional information is available on the ORA website or the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) website.
  • How can I tell whether the Biohazards/Recombinant DNA/Radiation yes boxes should be checked?
    The Institutional Biosafety Committee is responsible for reviewing proposals that may constitute a biohazard, or involve Recombinant DNA to determine whether an MUA is required.  The definition of activities requiring oversight can be found in the Biosafety Policy.  For questions please contact the IBC Coordinator at 208-885-7258.  Additional information is available on the ORA website or the Office of Biotechnology website.  The Radiation Safety Committee approves and monitors research for radiation safety.
  • What are Select Agents and Toxins? What do I need to do if my research activities include agents on the Select Agents and Toxins List?
    For all activities involving Select Agents and Toxins at any quantity an MUA must be completed and submitted to the Office of Research Assurances (ORA).  For all covered activities registration and approval from CDC must be sought in advance of initiating the work.  For more information on processes and UI requirements please contact the Biosafety Officer at 208-885-6524. Click here to be directed to the current Select Agents and Toxins List. Note that the University of Idaho does not currently have an active registration with the Federal Select Agents program.  If you are interested in working with these agents please contact ORA.
  • What is the definition of "conflict of interest" and "financial conflict of interest" with regard to sponsoring agencies?
    A potential for "Conflict of Interest or Commitment" arises when an individual's involvement in activities in which financial or other personal considerations may directly and significantly affect an employee's professional judgment in exercising any University duty or responsibility (FSH 6240).  An apparent conflict results when outside professional activities, outside employment, personal direct or indirect financial or other interests, or acceptance of benefits from third parties creates a perceived conflict between the University's mission and an individual's private interests.  Employees are expected to disclose real or apparent conflicts, and work with the Committee on Ethical Guidance and Oversight to develop a Conflict of Interest Management Plan.  Additionally, certain sponsoring agencies require that a financial disclosure be submitted at the proposal stage.  Your SPA can assist you in completing this process.
  • Why does the University need to know about foreign researchers and consultants, references to military/defense articles, etc?

    Export control laws, federal laws implemented both by the Department of Commerce through its Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Department of State through its International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), have been in existence for more than twenty years.  EAR and/or ITAR may require UI to obtain prior approval from State or Commerce before:

    • allowing foreign nationals to participate in the research;
    • partnering with a foreign company, or
    • sharing research verbally or in writing with persons who are not US citizens or permanent resident aliens.

    For additional information please visit the Export Controls website.

  • Why do I need to be concerned about restrictions on University/investigator publications?

    Academic freedom to publish and disseminate the results of research, instruction, and public service is a fundamental principle of the University environment.  Restrictions on publication can destroy the fundamental research exclusion, as well as violate University policy on the freedom to publish research results.  Any such restrictions in either the RFP or the contract/agreement must be negotiated with the sponsoring agency prior to University acceptance of the award.

  • Why do I need to report the possibility of intellectual property?
    Federal law requires that the University notify a government agency of inventions made under federally-supported research. The Faculty Staff Handbook section 5300 outlines University policies on copyrights, protectable discoveries and other intellectual property rights that arise as a result of University research.  The Office of Technology Transfer will be happy to work with you to identify and protect potential inventions.
  • How do I know whether a Financial Disclosure Form needs to be completed?
    The National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation and some other sponsors require that grantee institutions maintain written and enforced policies on conflict of interest.  The University's policy is for financial disclosure(s) be completed for proposals submitted to agencies that require them.  Please work with your SPA to complete this process prior to proposal submission.
  • What is "program income"?
    Program income is any income directly generated by a project during the award period.  Examples include conference fees where the sponsor is covering the bulk of the conference costs; sale of assets purchased by project funds (e.g. livestock sales); fees for services when the project is providing the service; and sale of items such as books, manuals, software or videos created with project funding (APM Section 45.13).  Program income expenses carry the same allowability restrictions as the rest of the budgeted expenses.  Any anticipated program income should ideally be estimated at the proposal stage, and shown as an offset to the project budget.  Note that one of the options for the treatment of program income is to be used as part of any cost share obligation.
  • What factors should be considered when purchasing equipment or remodeling?
    When purchasing equipment it is important to factor in all of the possible expenses associated with its installation. Checking this box with a “yes” allows reviewers and signers to fully assess the impact to the University and make a determination as to whether additional funding should be requested to cover installation or remodeling costs. Some of the considerations are:
    • Will special ventilation, wiring, or plumbing be required?
    • Will there be machining costs?
    • Will there be additional safety or security concerns that may require upgrades to current systems?
    • Where will the equipment be placed (which lab and where within the lab)? Is there enough space within that lab to handle the equipment?
    • Are there any other installation costs that need to be factored in?
  • What is a "capital project"?

    For the purposes of this form, a "capital project" is one that involves purchase or design of real property (buildings and/or land).

  • Where is the CAES building?

    The Center for Advanced Energy Studies building is located in Idaho Falls and is a public/private partnership comprised of the three Idaho public universities, private industry, and the Idaho National Laboratory.  For tracking purposes and budget set up any projects utilizing this building need to be identified at the proposal stage.

  • How will I know whether this is federal initiative or earmark funding?
    Federal initiative or earmark funding can be identified in one of two ways:
    • in the proposal guidelines, or
    • if you or your co-PIs have worked with the Government Relations Coordinator to secure the funding.