The use of live animals in teaching, research and product testing is a privilege granted under federal, state, local and institutional regulations and policies. There are two requirements to complete before working with animals at the University of Idaho:
- An online Animal Care and Use training module and exam
- Occupational Health Survey and Animal Workers Medical Surveillance Program (AWMSP)
The UI IACUC also accepts animal care and use training certification from any of the following sources. Contact the IACUC office at (208) 885-6162 for more information.
- UI-provided animal care and use training
- For collaborators: verification of training provided by another PHS-assured or AAALAC-accredited institution
If you are a PI, staff, or student working with research animals, you must complete the "Introduction to Animal Care and Use" course from the AALAS Learning Library. You are welcome to complete any other training modules found on this site voluntarily. Log in with your Vandal ID below for access instructions.
* If you are an IACUC member, you must also complete the "Essentials for IACUC Members" course.
Content below (Items #1-5) should be accessible only after successful login with UI credentials:
- Go to https://www.aalaslearninglibrary.org and click on Enroll Now! in the upper center of the page.
- Select Enroll as an individual in a group, using an ACCESS CODE and press the Continue button.
- Enter the following access code: UIdahoIACUC.
- Enter the information requested on the following page.
- NOTE: Please do not distribute this access code to anyone not participating in a UI research project.
- Once you have an account, you have access to all the offered trainings. At a minimum, you must take the module and exam for “Introduction to Animal Care and Use.”
- Move the mouse over the Libraries link and a menu will pop up. Select Animal Care and Use Courses from the menu.
- Under “University of Idaho Tracks” select Conducting Research at the University of Idaho.
- A new page is displayed. Select Introduction to Animal Care and Use on this page.
- A table of contents is displayed. Just below the table are two links.
- Select the Course link to enter the training module.
- Complete each lesson in the module and associated practice questions.
- Once you have completed the course, select the Exam link to take the exam. You must satisfactorily complete the exam in order to receive a certificate. You may keep this certificate for your own records. The IACUC office does not need a copy of it.
- Notify the IACUC office that you have completed the exam by sending an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Role(s) in the Project
- Qualifications for Performing Those Role(s)
- Principal Investigator
A description of the AWMSP is located here. Review the information and decide if you wish to decline or participate in the medical portion. You must submit your signed form before beginning work with research animals.
- If you wish to participate in the medical portion of the program, fill out the AWMS Consent Form (PDF).
- If you wish to decline participation in the medical portion of the program, fill out the AWMS Declination Form (PDF).
Submit the signed form to the Office of Research Assurances via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or hardcopy (campus mail stop 3010 or Morrill Hall 209). If you choose to participate in the program you will be contacted by EH&S on how to proceed. Additional information can be found on the IACUC website.