Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


Tracking Cost Share

  • Who is responsible for tracking cost share pledged in the proposal?

    The principal investigator should work with his or her departmental grant administrator at the inception of the award to identify the expenses that are anticipated to be used for cost share (with the exception of waived overhead, which is automatically tracked by OSP).

  • What is the process for reporting my or my employees' effort as cost share?
    If you have cost share required under your award then any effort expended towards the project will be reported on your Personnel Activity Report.  Effort charged directly to the project will show up under the project budget number.  Cost share effort is that portion of time worked on the project, but charged to another budget (non-Federal).  To designate that effort as cost share simply enter the appropriate information in the available fields at the bottom of the report.  For more information, please visit our Training page
  • How are non-payroll cost share expenses tracked?
    Please email a list or spreadsheet of cost-shared expenses to the OSP Cost Accounting Unit at osp-cost@uidaho.edu. This list should include document numbers, amounts, and budgets the expenses were charged to. Prior to submission please verify that the expenses occurred within the project period, that the expenses were directly attributable to the project, and that the expenses were paid for by non-Federal sources. OSP is responsible for entering these expenses into the cost share tracking system and for reporting cost share to the sponsoring agency.
  • How often should I report cost shared expenses to OSP?
    Cost shared expenses should be submitted to the Office of Sponsored Programs on a regular basis (e.g. monthly or quarterly) and cost share must be completed within the project period and fully reported by the time final reporting is due to the agency. For cost-shared effort where a grant/contract has termed but the PAR is not yet due please request a manual PAR report form from the OSP Cost Accounting Unit at osp-cost@uidaho.edu.
  • How can I see how much of my committed cost share has been provided to date?
    OSP has provided departmental grant administrators with the ability to view and report on cost share expenses entered into the OSP cost share system (OSPRE).  Click here for instructions on accessing this system.
  • Am I responsible for reporting third-party cost share to OSP?

    Yes.  It is not enough to provide a letter of commitment from the third-party.  The PI/department must provide written documentation from the third party that committed cost share is complete.  This documentation must be signed by someone with signature authority and specifically indicate that none of the cost share was provided from Federal sources.