Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


Sponsor Prior Approval Requirements

  • What kinds of changes require approval by the sponsor?

    Changes that typically require sponsor preapproval are as follows. These requests must be reviewed and authorized by the Office of Sponsored Programs and approved by an authorized official of the sponsoring agency, as they are typically in the form of a contractual amendment:

    • A change to the period of performance (i.e. a request for an extension of time to complete the project);
    • A change in status of any principal investigators, co-PIs or named key personnel, including separation from the University, absence from the project of more than three (3) months or a change in the proposed level of effort by more than 25%;
    • Changes to line-item budget amounts not falling within the authority prescribed by a sponsor (rebudgeting limits as per agreement or agency guidelines);
    • A substantive change in scope of work; and
    • Other items as noted in the specific agreement (e.g. some equipment purchases, sub-awards not initially proposed, carry-forward of prior budget period funding if limited by sponsor terms).

    Additional Guidance
    APM 45.14

  • Is is okay for me to contact the sponsor directly?

    We recommend that you work closely with your program manager to keep him or her apprised of your progress.  However, any issues that will require contractual amendments (time extensions, rebudgeting, change in PI, etc.) must be requested through OSP and be directed to the authorizing official at the agency.  We therefore request that you not contact the authorizing official directly, so that they are not receiving information from multiple sources.

  • Are there sample letters I can use to create my request?
    OSP has created sample letters for you to use to request sponsor approvals. These sample letters are available on the OSP Forms page.
  • Are there any restrictions on travel?
    Travel plans, especially foreign travel, should be specified in your proposal. Foreign travel is generally subject to the provisions of the Fly America Act, which requires the use of U.S. carriers except under very specific circumstances. You can link to additional information here.