University of Idaho Kicks Off 125th Anniversary in Boise
Wednesday, January 15
MOSCOW, Idaho – Idaho’s founding university, the University of Idaho, will celebrate its 125 year anniversary since its opening with a series of late-January events in Boise kicking off the yearlong celebration.
The University of Idaho was founded in 1889 to fulfill the land-grant university mission: opening the doors of higher education to the citizens of Idaho. Since then, the University of Idaho has grown into one of the nation's top research institutions, becoming an engine for educational innovation and economic growth.
“The University of Idaho has a unique identity, not only as the state’s land-grant institution, but also as the state’s founding, comprehensive and constitutionally established university,” said Interim President Don Burnett. “These elements, taken together, define the university’s flagship heritage. They underscore the university’s role as a collaborative leader in advancing Idaho higher education and promoting the state’s economic prosperity.”
In recognition for its legacy of leading in the state, several festivities will be held in Boise, with a celebratory 125th Anniversary Dinner on Wednesday, Jan. 22 at the Grove Hotel. The University of Idaho Boise and UI personnel also will host a series of workshops, seminars and activities throughout the week. Featured events include:
• Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2-3 p.m.: A Legacy of Adding Value – Collaborating with Idaho Food and Dairy Processors, seminar with Jeff Kronenberg, Specialist, Food Processing, College of Engineering. Location: UI Boise/Idaho Water Center (IWC) Room 156, 322 E. Front St., Boise
• Tuesday, Jan. 21, 3:30 p.m.: Daylighting Design in the Pacific Northwest, tour and lecture with Kevin Van Den Wymelenberg, director of UI Integrated Design Lab. Location: 306 S. 6th St., Boise
• Tuesday, Jan. 21, 6-9 p.m.: Meet the Vandals, recruitment event, UI Admissions. Location: Riverside Hotel, 2900 W. Chinden Blvd., Boise
• Wednesday, Jan. 22, 10 a.m. – Noon: College of Law’s Tax Clinic Road Show, seminar with Barbara Lock, Low Income Taxpayer Clinic. Location: UI Boise/Idaho Water Center (IWC), 5th Floor Lobby, 322 E. Front St., Boise
• Wednesday, Jan. 22, 1-2 p.m.: Educational Leadership for Equity and Excellence in Idaho: Content Areas Matter, seminar with Jeff Brooks, chair of the Department of Leadership and Counseling. Location: UI Boise/Idaho Water Center (IWC), Room 156, 322 E. Front St., Boise
• Wednesday, Jan. 22, 1-3 p.m.: Healthy Lifestyle – Whole Grain Artisan Bread, Barb Ado, Extension Education, Ada County Extension Office. Location: 5880 Glenwood St., Boise
• Wednesday, Jan. 22, 6 p.m.: UI 125th Anniversary Dinner, social and dinner. Location: Grove Hotel, 245 S. Capitol Blvd., Boise
A complete schedule with dates, times and locations is available at www.uidaho.edu/125years/statewide-events
Interim President Burnett will present before the Idaho Legislature’s Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee the morning of Tuesday, Jan. 21. College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Dean John Foltz will present before the committee the same morning.
Following the presentations, the Governor’s Office will issue a proclamation recognizing the 125th anniversary of the University of Idaho’s founding.
Continuing yearlong, the 125th anniversary festivities also include celebrations in Moscow on Jan. 30, the official founding date of UI, as well as summer and fall celebrations held in Coeur d’Alene and Idaho Falls, respectively.
About the University of Idaho
The University of Idaho helps students to succeed and become leaders. Its land-grant mission furthers innovative scholarly and creative research to grow Idaho's economy and serve a statewide community. From its main campus in Moscow, Idaho, to 70 research and academic locations statewide, U-Idaho emphasizes real-world application as part of its student experience. U-Idaho combines the strength of a large university with the intimacy of small learning communities. It is home to the Vandals. For information, visit www.uidaho.edu