- Computational fluid dynamics
- Renewable energy
- Ship Hydrodynamics
- Verification & Validation for numerical simulations
- ME 404/504 Computational Fluid Dynamics
- ME 435 Thermal Energy System Design
- ME 541 Mechanical Engineering Analysis
- ENGR 320 Engr Thermo & Heat Transfer
- ENGR 335 Engineering Fluid Mechanics
Tao Xing, Ph.D.
College of Engineering
Anyang City, P.R.China
With UI Since
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, August 2002
- M.S., Energy and Power Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, P. R. China, 1998
- B.S., Energy and Power Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, P. R. China, 1995
- Xing, T., Bhushan, S., and Stern, F., 2012, "Vortical and Turbulent Structures for KVLCC2 at Drift Angle 0, 12, and 30 Degrees," Ocean Engineering, accepted.
- Bhushan, S., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2012, "Vortical Structures and Instability Analysis for Athena Wetted Transom Flow with Full-scale Validation," ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 134, Issue 3, p. 031201
- Li, Y.W., Paik, K.J., Xing, T., Carrica, P.M., 2012, "Dynamic Overset CFD Simulations of Wind Turbine Aerodynamics," Renewable Energy, Vol. 37, Issue 1, pp. 285-298.
- Xing, T. and Stern, F., 2011, "Comments on: Discussion of: "Factors of Safety for Richardson Extrapolation," ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 11, p. 115501.
- Xing, T. and Stern, F., 2010, "Factors of Safety for Richardson Extrapolation," ASME Journal of fluids engineering, Vol. 132, No. 6, DOI: 061403.
- Pinto, H., A., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2010, "URANS and DES for Wigley Hull at Extreme Drift Angles," Journal of Marine Science and Technology, DOI 10.1007.
- Ismail, F., Carrica, P., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2010, "Evaluation of Linear and Nonlinear Convection Schemes on Multidimensional Non-Orthogonal Grids with Applications to KVLCC2 Tanker," International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 64, Issue 8, pp. 850-886.
- Bhushan, S., Xing, T., Carrica, P., Stern, F., 2009, "Model- and Full-scale URANS Simulations of Athena Resistance, Powering, Seakeeping, and 5415 Maneuvering," Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 179-198.
- Kandasamy, M., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2009, "Unsteady Free-Surface Wave-Induced Separation: Vortical Structures and Instabilities," Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 25, Issue 2, pp. 343-363.
- Xing, T., Carrica, P., Stern, F., 2008, "Computational Towing Tank Procedures for Single Run Curves of Resistance and Propulsion," ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 130, No.1, 101102.
- Xing, T., Kandasamy, M., Stern, F., 2007, "Unsteady Free-Surface Wave-InducedSeparation: Analysis of Turbulent Structures Using Detached Eddy Simulation and Single-phase Level Set Method," Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 8, No. 44, pp. 1-35.
- Stern, F., Xing, T., Yarbrough, D., Rothmayer, A., Rajagopalan, G., Otta, S.P., Caughey, D., Bhaskaran, R. Smith. S., Hutching, B., and Moeykens, S., 2006, "Hands-On CFD Educational Interface for Engineering Courses and Laboratories," Journal of Engineering Education, Volume 95, No. 1, pp. 63-83.
- Xing, T., Burge, L.L. Jr., Aglan, H.A., 2011, "Integration of Mobile Technology into Undergraduate Engineering Curriculum," ASEE 2011 Annual Conference & Exposition, June 26-29, 2011, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Xing, T., Carrica, P., Stern F., 2010, "Large-Scale RANS and DDES Computations of KVLCC2 at Drift Angle 0 Degree," Gothenburg 2010: A Workshop on CFD in Ship Hydrodynamics, December 8-10 2010, Sweden.
- Xing, T., Shao, J., and Stern, F., 2007, "BKW- RS-DES of Unsteady Vortical Flow for KVLCC2 at Large Drift Angles," the 9th international conference on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- PI, "CFD Modeling of the Vorsana McCutchen Processor," May 25, 2012 - Aug. 25, 2012, $36,023, Vorsana Inc.
- PI, "Numerical Simulation of Magnetic Nanoparticles Using Electromagnetic Separation Device," July 1, 2012 - Aug. 31, 2013, Seed Grant, $11,969.60, University of Idaho.
- PI, "Collaborative Research: Simulation Based Design for Deep Water Offshore Wind Turbines Including Wave Loads and Motions," 2011-2014, National Science Foundation, Division of Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems, Award #1066873, $200,731 (May-Dec. 2011) awarded at Tuskegee; $118,998 (Dec. 2011- Apr. 30, 2014) subawarded to University of Idaho.
- PI, “Transition CFDShip-Iowa to Create Ship Hydrodynamics Program,” 2009-2011, Office of Naval Resarch, $30,500.
- Co-PI, “Curriculumn Development: Application for Learning, Development and Leadership,” 09/01/2009 - 08/31/2010, Congressionally-Directed Projects, Grant P116Z090025, $190,000.
- PI, “Developing Streamlined Version of CFDShip-Iowa-V4,” 2008-2009, (P.O.No. 1000681009), Office of Naval Research, $50,290.17
- Co-PI (10%), “6DOF Viscous Ship Hydrodynamics: renewal,” Office of Naval Research, 10/2006 - 9/2009, (N00014-01-1-0073), $2,046,154.
- Co-PI (10%), “URANS/DES Code Development for Ship Hydrodynamics Simulation Based Design: CFDSHIP-IOWA,” Office of Naval Research, 04/2006-03/2009, (N00014-06-1-0420), $4,717,000.
- Co-PI, “Integration of Simulation Technology into Undergraduate Engineering Courses and Laboratories,” 2002-2005, funded by the National Science Foundation, Course, Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement – Educational Materials, Development Program, Award #0126589, $395,090.