Tao Xing, Ph.D.
College of Engineering
Anyang City, P.R.China
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 2011
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, August 2002
M.S., Energy and Power Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, P. R. China, 1998
B.S., Energy and Power Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, P. R. China, 1995
Computational fluid dynamics
Verification & Validation for numerical simulations
- Xing, T., Bhushan, S., and Stern, F., 2012, "Vortical and Turbulent Structures for KVLCC2 at Drift Angle 0, 12, and 30 Degrees," Ocean Engineering, accepted.
- Bhushan, S., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2012, "Vortical Structures and Instability Analysis for Athena Wetted Transom Flow with Full-scale Validation," ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 134, Issue 3, p. 031201
- Li, Y.W., Paik, K.J., Xing, T., Carrica, P.M., 2012, "Dynamic Overset CFD Simulations of Wind Turbine Aerodynamics," Renewable Energy, Vol. 37, Issue 1, pp. 285-298.
- Xing, T. and Stern, F., 2011, "Comments on: Discussion of: "Factors of Safety for Richardson Extrapolation," ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 11, p. 115501.
- Xing, T. and Stern, F., 2010, "Factors of Safety for Richardson Extrapolation," ASME Journal of fluids engineering, Vol. 132, No. 6, DOI: 061403.
- Pinto, H., A., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2010, "URANS and DES for Wigley Hull at Extreme Drift Angles," Journal of Marine Science and Technology, DOI 10.1007.
- Ismail, F., Carrica, P., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2010, "Evaluation of Linear and Nonlinear Convection Schemes on Multidimensional Non-Orthogonal Grids with Applications to KVLCC2 Tanker," International Journal of Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 64, Issue 8, pp. 850-886.
- Bhushan, S., Xing, T., Carrica, P., Stern, F., 2009, "Model- and Full-scale URANS Simulations of Athena Resistance, Powering, Seakeeping, and 5415 Maneuvering," Journal of Ship Research, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 179-198.
- Kandasamy, M., Xing, T., Stern, F., 2009, "Unsteady Free-Surface Wave-Induced Separation: Vortical Structures and Instabilities," Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 25, Issue 2, pp. 343-363.
- Xing, T., Carrica, P., Stern, F., 2008, "Computational Towing Tank Procedures for Single Run Curves of Resistance and Propulsion," ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 130, No.1, 101102.
- Xing, T., Kandasamy, M., Stern, F., 2007, "Unsteady Free-Surface Wave-InducedSeparation: Analysis of Turbulent Structures Using Detached Eddy Simulation and Single-phase Level Set Method," Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 8, No. 44, pp. 1-35.
- Stern, F., Xing, T., Yarbrough, D., Rothmayer, A., Rajagopalan, G., Otta, S.P., Caughey, D., Bhaskaran, R. Smith. S., Hutching, B., and Moeykens, S., 2006, "Hands-On CFD Educational Interface for Engineering Courses and Laboratories," Journal of Engineering Education, Volume 95, No. 1, pp. 63-83.
- Xing, T., Burge, L.L. Jr., Aglan, H.A., 2011, "Integration of Mobile Technology into Undergraduate Engineering Curriculum," ASEE 2011 Annual Conference & Exposition, June 26-29, 2011, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Xing, T., Carrica, P., Stern F., 2010, "Large-Scale RANS and DDES Computations of KVLCC2 at Drift Angle 0 Degree," Gothenburg 2010: A Workshop on CFD in Ship Hydrodynamics, December 8-10 2010, Sweden.
- Xing, T., Shao, J., and Stern, F., 2007, "BKW- RS-DES of Unsteady Vortical Flow for KVLCC2 at Large Drift Angles," the 9th international conference on Numerical Ship Hydrodynamics, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- PI, "CFD Modeling of the Vorsana McCutchen Processor," May 25, 2012 - Aug. 25, 2012, $36,023, Vorsana Inc.
- PI, "Numerical Simulation of Magnetic Nanoparticles Using Electromagnetic Separation Device," July 1, 2012 - Aug. 31, 2013, Seed Grant, $11,969.60, University of Idaho.
- PI, "Collaborative Research: Simulation Based Design for Deep Water Offshore Wind Turbines Including Wave Loads and Motions," 2011-2014, National Science Foundation, Division of Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems, Award #1066873, $200,731 (May-Dec. 2011) awarded at Tuskegee; $118,998 (Dec. 2011- Apr. 30, 2014) subawarded to University of Idaho.
- PI, “Transition CFDShip-Iowa to Create Ship Hydrodynamics Program,” 2009-2011, Office of Naval Resarch, $30,500.
- Co-PI, “Curriculumn Development: Application for Learning, Development and Leadership,” 09/01/2009 - 08/31/2010, Congressionally-Directed Projects, Grant P116Z090025, $190,000.
- PI, “Developing Streamlined Version of CFDShip-Iowa-V4,” 2008-2009, (P.O.No. 1000681009), Office of Naval Research, $50,290.17
- Co-PI (10%), “6DOF Viscous Ship Hydrodynamics: renewal,” Office of Naval Research, 10/2006 - 9/2009, (N00014-01-1-0073), $2,046,154.
- Co-PI (10%), “URANS/DES Code Development for Ship Hydrodynamics Simulation Based Design: CFDSHIP-IOWA,” Office of Naval Research, 04/2006-03/2009, (N00014-06-1-0420), $4,717,000.
- Co-PI, “Integration of Simulation Technology into Undergraduate Engineering Courses and Laboratories,” 2002-2005, funded by the National Science Foundation, Course, Curriculum and Laboratory Improvement – Educational Materials, Development Program, Award #0126589, $395,090.