Robert Stephens, Ph.D., P.E.
College of Engineering
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 1998
B.S.M.E., 1985, University of Iowa
M.S.M.E., 1987, University of Utah
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, 1990, University of Utah
Materials Properties Measurements and Modeling
Fatigue and Fracture
- Glancey, C. and R.R. Stephens, “Fatigue Crack Growth and Life Predictions under Variable Amplitude Loading for a Cast and Wrought Aluminum Alloy,” International Journal of Fatigue, 28, 2006, pp. 53-60.
- Glancey, C. and R.R. Stephens, “Observation of Fatigue Damage Accumulation in a Steel and Aluminum Alloy Via Positron Annihilation,” 5th International ASTM/ESIS Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture, R.E. Link and K. Nikbin Eds, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, 2005.
- Stephens, R.R., R.I. Stephens, S.C. Berge, D.E. Lemm, and C.D. Glancey. “Effect of Transient Loads on Fatigue Crack Growth in Solution Treated and Aged Ti-62222 at -54, 25, and 175ºC,” Fatigue Testing and Analysis Under Variable Amplitude Loading Conditions, ASTM STP 1439, P.C. McKeighan and N. Ranganathan, Eds., ASTM West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, 2005.
- Stephens, R.I, R.R. Stephens, and D.A. Schoenefeld. “Effects of Transient Loads on Fatigue Crack Growth in Mill Annealed Ti-62222 at -54, 75, and 175ºC,” Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics: 33rd Volume, ASTM STP 1417, W.G. Reuter and R.S. Piascik, Eds., ASTM West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, pp. 557-572, 2002.
- Liknes, H.O. and R.R. Stephens, “Effect of Geometry and Load History on Fatigue Crack Growth in Ti-62222,” Fatigue Crack Growth Thresholds, Endurance Limits, and Design, ASTM STP 1372, ASTM, pp. 175-191, 2000.
- Stephens, R.I., A. Fatemi, R.R. Stephens, and H.O. Fuchs, “Metal Fatigue in Engineering,” 2nd Edition, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2001
- Nominated University of Idaho Teaching Excellence Award, 2005
- Nominated University of Idaho Advising Excellence Award, 2004
- Kappa Delta Professor of the month, October 2003
- Outstanding Faculty of the year Nominee, Sigma Chi, 2002
- Faculty Excellence Award, Naval ROTC, 1996