Ph.D. Civil Engineering
Persons interested in pursuing a doctoral degree must contact Patricia Colberg, the chair of the Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, in advance of admission to the Graduate College. Preliminary screening of candidates and program planning for those admitted are essential features of the Ph.D. program. Programs are offered with specialization in the following general areas:
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structures, Structural Mechanics and Construction Materials
- Transportation Engineering
- Water Resources and Hydraulics
The qualifying examination is written and/or oral, and the preliminary examination is written and oral. In addition, one of the following requirements must be satisfied:
- Satisfactory completion of a foreign language examination conducted by the Department of Modern Languages & Cultures.
- Completion of a humanities-social study program approved by the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering.