Erik R. Coats, Ph.D., P.E.
College of Engineering
Campus Locations: Moscow
Ph.D., Washington State University, 2005
M.S., University of Idaho, 1994
B.S., University of Idaho, 1990
Biological removal of pharmaceuticals
Sustainable treatment technologies
Biological nutrient removal
Advancements in the field of molecular biology, microbiology, genetics, biotechnology, and proteomics provide environmental engineers additional tools to investigate the fundamental operations occurring in biological systems.
My research activities are focused on integrating these various disciplines and utilizing these tools to:
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the structure and function of engineered systems,
- Apply this knowledge in the design of new treatment systems and the optimization of existing technologies,
- and Develop and apply molecular probes that can be applied by field personnel in real-time monitoring and optimization.
- Coats, Erik R.; Loge, Frank J.; Smith, William A.; Thompson, David N.; Wolcott, Michael P. 2007. Functional stability in a mixed microbial consortia producing PHA from waste carbon sources. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology.
- Coats, Erik R.; Loge, Frank J.; Englund, Karl; Wolcott, Michael P.; McDonald, Armando G. 2008. Production of natural fiber reinforced thermoplastic composites through the use of PHB-rich biomass. Bioresource Technology.
- Coats, Erik R.; Loge, Frank J.; Englund, Karl; Wolcott, Michael P.; McDonald, Armando G. 2007. Synthesis of polyhydroxyalkanoates in municipal wastewater treatment. Water Environment Research..
- Liu, Hsin-Ying; Hall, Patrizia V.; Darby, Jeannie L.; Coats, Erik R.; Green, Peter G.; Thompson, Donald E.; Loge, Frank J. Production of poly(hydroxyalkanoate) during treatment of tomato cannery wastewater. Water Environment Research. 2008.
- VanderVoort, Kristen E.; Darby, Jeannie L.; Coats, Erik R.; Loge, Frank J. Production of polyhydroxyalkanoates on primary solids concurrent with municipal wastewater treatment. Water Environment Research. 2009-in revision.
- Advancement of a sustainable microbial wastewater treatment process for the removal of phosphorus
- Synthesis of biological, biodegradable thermoplastics coupled with wastewater treatment
- Removal and fate of zinc in compost bioreactors treating mine drainage