An Chen, Ph.D., P.E., LEED® AP
College of Engineering
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Civil Engineering
Ph.D., West Virginia University
M.S., Dalian University of Technology, China
B.E., Dalian University of Technology, China
Dr. Chen’s research is focused on advanced materials, including Fiber-reinforced Polymer (FRP), concrete, and timber for green buildings and sustainable infrastructure, in terms of a combination of analytical solutions using Fracture Mechanics, Continuum Mechanics, etc.; Finite Element analyses; and experimental investigations on coupon and large-scale specimens. His research topics cover:
- Energy efficient structures and building energy modeling;
- Recycled materials utilization, including high-volume fly ash concrete and geopolymer concrete; and reconstituted structural wood composite products from residue and waste materials;
- Bridge engineering, including FRP strips or plates for rehabilitation and repair of deteriorated reinforced concrete bridges; pre-manufactured FRP decks for fast-construction bridges; and high performance concrete for bridge decks and overlays.
- Durability of civil infrastructure, including FRP-concrete interface; reinforced concrete beams with FRP repair based on accelerated corrosion of the rebar using impressed current method; and electro-chemical chloride extraction technique for reinforced concrete beams.
Dr. Chen is a practicing and licensed Professional Engineer and had four years of industrial experience on structural design. He is also a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED® AP), and familiar with LEED Rating SystemTM and green building design.
- Davalos, J.F., Chen, A., Zou, B. and Qaio, P. "FRP Deck-Steel Girder Bridge Systems: Analysis and Design," in preparation, to be completed in March 2012
- Chen, A., Davalos, J.F., Justice, A.L., Michaelson, G.K., and Perisetty, N (in press). “Effective Flange Width for Orthotropic FRP Bridge Decks with Degrees of Composite Action,” accepted by Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE.
- Davalos, J.F., Chen, A., Ray, I., and Levan, J. (in press). "Externally Bonded FRP Composites for the Rehabilitation of Reinforced Concrete T-beam Bridges," accepted by Journal of Infrastructure Systems, ASCE.
- Davalos, J.F., Parish, G., Chen, A. and Ray, I. (in press). "Effect of Anchoring Schemes for Beams Aged by Accelerated Corrosion and Strengthened with Carbon Fibre-Reinforced Polymer," accepted by Structure and Infrastructure Engineering.
- Davalos, J.F., Chen, A., and Zou, B. (2011), "Stiffness and Strength Evaluations of a New Shear Connection System for FRP Bridge Decks to Steel Girders," Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, 15(3), pp. 441-450.
- Zou, B., Chen, A., Davalos, J.F., and Salim, H.A. (2011), "Evaluation of Effective Flange Width by Shear Lag Model for Orthotropic FRP Bridge Decks," Composite Structures, 93, pp. 474-482.
- Zou, B., Davalos, J.F., Chen, A., and Ray, I. (2011). "Evaluation of Load Distribution Factor by Series Solution for Orthotropic Bridge Decks," Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, 24(2), pp. 227-239.
- Ray, I., Parish, G., Davalos, J.F., and Chen, A. (2011). "Effect of Concrete Substrate Repair Methods for Beams Aged by Accelerated Corrosion and Strengthened with CFRP," Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, 24(2), pp. 240-248.
- Chen, A. and Davalos, J.F. (2010). "Strength Evaluations of Sinusoidal Core for FRP Sandwich Bridge Deck Panels," Composite Structures, 92(7), pp. 1561-1573.
- Li, C.S., Lam, S.S.E., Chen, A., and Wong, Y.L. (2008). “Seismic performance of a transfer plate structure”, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 134(11), pp. 1705-1716.
- Chen, A. and Davalos, J.F. (2007). "Transverse Shear with Skin Effect for Composite Sandwich with Honeycomb Sinusoidal Core," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 133(3), pp. 247-256.
- Chen, A. and Davalos, J.F. (2005). "A Solution including Skin Effect for Stiffness and Stress Field of Sandwich Honeycomb Core," International Journal of Solids and Structures, 42(9-10), pp. 2711-2739.
- Davalos, J.F. and Chen, A. (2005). "Buckling Behavior of Honeycomb FRP Core with Partially Restrained Loaded Edges under Out-of-plane Compression," Journal of Composite Materials, 39(16), pp. 1465-1485.
- Aravinthan, T., Mutsuyoshi, H., Niitsu, T., and Chen, A. (1998). “Flexure Behavior of Externally Prestressed Beams with Large Eccentricity”, Transaction of the Japan Concrete Institute, Japan Concrete Institute, 20, 1998, pp. 165-170.
- Concrete-Filled FRP Sandwich Wall Panels for Energy Efficient and Seismic/Blast Resistant Buildings
- Investigation of Fiber Wrap Technology for Bridge Repair and Rehabilitation
- Center for Transportation Security and Infrastructure Innovations
- Resilient Tunnel System-Flood Containment Plug
- Advanced Materials Program: High Performance Concrete, Deck Overlays, and Short-Span Steel Bridges