Services for Employers/Organizations
The University of Idaho Career Center welcomes and encourages employers to recruit from the many qualified alumni and students enrolled in more than 125 majors at the University of Idaho. The Career Center’s services are designed to assist organizations in their efforts to connect with qualified applicants and give students the opportunity to explore career options that complement and support their academic goals. The services we offer to eligible organizations include:
- Job postings on Hire a Vandal (UI’s on-line job/internship database)
- Rooms and scheduling assistance for on-campus interviews
- Conference room and tables for information sessions (up to five times per semester)
- Advertising for information sessions and on-campus interviews
- Job, Internship, & Career Fairs
- Assistance developing or improving internship programs
- Assistance connecting with academic faculty
- Opportunity to participate in our Employer Partnership Program and receive tailored branding services and additional opportunities to connect with targeted student populations.
The Career Center is committed to working in the best interests of UI students/alumni and strives to connect them with quality internship and job opportunities. The following policies have been established to ensure the on-campus recruiting process is a professional, fair, and ethical experience for students and recruiters. Organizations and their recruiters play a critical role in providing a positive experience to students by following these recruiting policies.
Entities that recruit at the University of Idaho must adhere to:
In addition, recruiting entities must:
- Coordinate all on-campus recruiting activities through the Career Center
- Cooperate with the University on inquiries regarding the recruiting process including providing the names of any UI candidates interviewed and hired
- Make reasonable accommodations for disabled persons to participate in the recruitment process
- Not use or disclose student information for any reason other than recruiting purposes for the posted position, including selling student information to other entities for a fee or other forms of compensation
- Clearly identify the name of the employing entity, job title, job description, and rate/method of compensation
- Not impose any fees upon the University or UI students for services provided by the hiring organization (e.g. training fees). Fees charged by third parties for required and bona fide occupational qualifiers such as background check for educators is permitted.
- Not solicit or sell products/services during the course of the recruitment process
The Career Center will not post positions, nor host organizations for on-campus recruiting or career fairs, if the employment opportunity:
- involves on-campus solicitation of products or services (APM 20.12)
- requires the student to pay a nonrefundable fee to participate in a work experience or training
- requires a student to purchase or rent any type of sales kit or presentation supplies; the student is required to invest money up front before the position begins (“business opportunities”)
- requires recruitment of other members as the primary source of income (i.e. multi-level marketing, pyramid schemes)
- does not require at least some college education
Eligibility for Services
A recruiting entity will be eligible for employer services when it is determined by the University of Idaho Career Center to be a legitimate entity with verifiable business name, physical address, email address, phone number, contact person, and website. Non-U.S. entities shall provide, to the reasonable satisfaction of Career Center staff, documentary evidence demonstrating their capability of meeting employment obligations to UI candidates who are hired.
Approval to use University of Idaho facilities and services for recruiting activities rests with the Career Center or designated University representative, and may be revoked if any of the recruiting policies described above are violated. Permission to use University facilities does not imply University approval or endorsement of the policies, practices, or products/services of the recruiting entity.
Eligibility for employer services may vary based on the type of organization recruiting. Special consideration has been made for the following types of entities:
Third Party Recruiters are agencies, organizations, or individuals recruiting candidates for temporary, part-time, or full-time employment opportunities other than for their own needs. These include entities that collect student information to be disclosed to employers for purposes of recruitment and employment. Third Party Recruiters are eligible for full employer services offered by the Career Center and may recruit at the UI, provided the entity or individual:
- Identifies the name of the employer it is recruiting for on all job postings, and includes the job title, description, and rate of compensation
- Cooperates with the University when verifying the third party recruiter relationship with the employer
- Provides the University with information about the UI candidates hired (employer and salary)
- Does not disclose candidate information without the written permission of the candidate
- Does not use or disclose candidate information for reasons other than recruiting purposes for the specific listed position
Entities recruiting for Door-to-Door Sales positions may not recruit on-campus, nor may they post positions on Hire a Vandal.
Entities recruiting for Independent Contractor / Straight Commission positions may not recruit on-campus, nor may they post positions on Hire a Vandal.
Note: A person being paid on a 1099 basis is a consultant, not an employee. Entities paying individuals on a 1099 basis are not considered “employers” for the purposes of recruiting at the University of Idaho and are not eligible for employer services.
Network Marketing Organizations are not considered employers for the purposes of recruiting at the University of Idaho and are not eligible for employer services and may not recruit on campus. The UI classifies Network Marketing Organizations as those that engage in one or more of the following practices:
- Sponsorship of an individual in setting up his/her own business for the purpose of selling products or services and/or recruiting others to set up their own business
- Requiring an initial investment from individuals (e.g. required fees, payment for orientation or training session, and/or purchase of a starter kit)
- Compensation in the form of straight commission, fees from others under their sponsorship, and/or a percentage of sales generated by others
- Requirement of “employee” to collect and deposit gross amount from which the organization holds back money for expenses before the remainder is released as a net paycheck
University policy prohibits discrimination in hiring and/or recruiting on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, or veteran status. The University reserves the right to refuse to post jobs that do not comply with University recruiting policies or that do not support the interests of the University or its students. The University also reserves the right to change, modify, or add criteria to these recruiting policies as needed.
The University of Idaho Career Center, provides a referral service and makes no particular recommendation regarding employers/organizations. The Center makes no representation or guarantees with regard to positions recruited through or posted by this office and is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other work-related issues that may arise after placement with an employer. Students are urged to perform due diligence in researching the employing entity when applying for or accepting an offer of employment.It is the obligation of UI students/alumni to seek information and legal representation if they feel they are being discriminated against, mistreated in the employment process or in the workplace.
Questions should be directed to the Employer Relations Team at (208) 885-6121