• Anyone who can assist you with a job search or in your educational or career plans.
• Career Center staff, professors, advisors, UI alumni, the greater Vandal family and community, friends and classmates
• Professionals working in your field
• Past and present co-workers and supervisors
• Student and professional associations
• Local organizations (e.g., young professional networks)
• Social media (e.g., LinkedIn)
• Attend Vandal Networking Nights, employer on-campus recruiting events, job and graduate school fairs.
Networking involves many layers and degrees of separation, remember to think outside the box. Include and reach out to your doctor, dentist, or other medical professional, your barber or hair stylist, the local barista, airline personnel, your local corner store, just to name a few.
These are people that intersect with many of the exact people you will want to (or should) know through their everyday occupations, and who have a lot of insider information and leads. You never know who may be connected to the people in your network, or who can help open a career door for you!