Applications for graduate/professional school have varying due dates by school, and there are a lot of application materials to prepare. The first major step to get into graduate/professional school is getting your application in on time.
5 Tips for Getting Your Application in on Time
- Start early! Begin your search at least one year prior to the semester you plan on starting graduate or professional school.
- Do your research. Early in the process, explore your options and pathways for the career you want in order to help determine which programs will be best suited for you.
- Be aware of the deadlines! Each school is going to have a separate set of requirements and deadlines. It is crucial to stay aware of these dates for each school you are considering.
- Stay in contact with your references. One important piece of your application will be your letters of recommendation and, because you are relying on others to write these, be sure they are informed well ahead of time.
- Come meet the Career Advisors at the Career Center! We can help you to develop and strengthen your application materials, so they are ready to go before your applications are due.
Remember that each school will have different deadlines and requirements; the following timeline is a general suggestion.
- By the summer before the year you are planning to start graduate school, begin seriously considering whether or not graduate/professional school is right for you, and which programs would help you further your career goals.
- By August of the year before you plan to start graduate/professional school, begin your search and narrow your options to the schools that fit your goals. Pay close attention to the application deadlines for each school on your current list.
- By September of the year before you plan to start, have a list of schools you may want to apply to and make contact with the faculty from these schools. You should also be fully aware of the requirements and deadlines for each school still on your list. Additionally, be aware of when and where graduate/professional school admissions tests are being offered. Begin developing your application materials.
- By October, you should have your final schools selected and be in the process of finalizing all your application material. Most schools have application deadlines between November and February for the following fall semester, but some schools will have application deadlines as early as October.
- By November, have all your applications ready for submission.