Evaluate and modify goals
Observe and reflect:
• What did you learn through those experiences?
• How did this experience compare with your expectations?
• Do you see yourself working in this company/industry?
• Are there skills that you want or need to develop?
Refinement of goals:
• What did you like most/least about your experience?
• How do these likes/dislikes affect your long-term goals?
• What types of careers would fit best with your strengths and limitations?
Develop a plan of action to achieve your goals
Identify long-term career goals:
• What is your purpose? How to you see yourself making a contribution through the work you do?
• What is your “dream job” or shortlist of dream jobs?
• What do you see yourself doing ten years after graduation?
Identify short-term career options that align with your long-term goals:
Example: If I want to be a writer for National Geographic magazine, I could…
• Get any position at National Geographic to get my foot in the door;
• Get a writing position with similar magazines that may be smaller and less known; or,
• Attend graduate school to gain more knowledge and experience.