biology woman in a lab


  • What types of activities require IBC approval?
    Please click here for more information.
  • What is involved in getting my research approved by the IBC?

    Submit a Biosafety Form to

    If you have questions about how to fill out the Biosafety Form please contact either the Manager of the Office of Research Assurances or the Biosafety Officer (BSO) for assistance.  After you have submitted the Biosafety Form, the BSO will assist you with developing/reviewing your Biosafety manual and completing a facility review.

  • May I start recombinant DNA research without IBC approval?
    In general you must have approval before initiating activities with recombinant DNA.
  • I use commercially available vectors and believe that my work is exempt. Do I need to submit an MUA?
    While many of the commercially available vectors are exempt you must file a Biosafety Form for determination of covered or exempt status by the IBC. All covered work must be approved by the IBC.
  • How long is my approval good for?
    Three years, (unless indicated otherwise)
  • What must I do to renew a protocol?

    It is the Principal Investigator's responsibility to renew a protocol. This is done by sending a current Biosafety Form to The Office of Research Assurances (ORA) has developed a system whereby in the future every attempt will be made to send a reminder in advance of the three years expiration to investigators to assist them in managing this compliance piece.

  • What are Select Agents and Toxins?

    These are agents and toxins that have been determined to have dual use potential by the federal government and require registration and approval from the federal government to work with.

    Click here to view a 7 minute video developed by NIH-HHS with more information about what is meant by “dual use”

    For a current list of Select Agents and Toxins click here

  • What must I do if I am working with Select Agents and Toxins?
    All work with Select Agents and Toxins must be submitted via a Biosafety Form to

    Work that requires Federal oversight must be registered with CDC.  It may take 6 months or longer to obtain this approval. Contact the Biosafety Officer for assistance with this process. 

    Some work with Select Agents and Toxins is excluded from federal oversight. Click here for more information.

    There are permissible toxin amounts which are also excluded from federal oversight.  Click here for more information.