Are You Hiring Out-Of-State or International Employees?

Friday, August 30 2013

Does your program or department have, or plan to have, out-of-state or international employees, including temporary help? It is important to maintain compliance with the various Workers Compensation laws and to avoid any penalties for non-compliance. The university has to add coverage state by state and for each country we have employees. As soon as you are planning your hire, it is important to know where the employee will reside while performing their duties and to arrange workers compensation coverage. Detailed information regarding the hiring of out-of-state employees can be found at

Contact Payroll Services for all new hires working out of state or internationally at 885-3101 or email You will need to provide your department name; the employee's job description; SSN of employee; the employee’s first and last name; job title; specific job duties; date hired; date terminating (if applicable); hourly rate/hours per pay period; total projected salary; work state; work address residence state; and residence address. The form for reporting out-of-state employees can be found at Payroll Services will share the information with the State and Risk Management.

It is very important to enter the correct state or country’s code when entering the out of state or international employee’s EPAF. Do not use the code for Idaho as a default. The EPAF system has a code for all 50 states and some foreign countries. If you need a country added to the system contact the Budget Office at 885-7122 or email