Office of the Dean
Phone: (208) 885-6470
Fax: (208) 885-6645
Janssen Engineering (JEB)
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1011
Moscow, ID 83844-1011
Contact Denise Engebrecht
Phone: (208) 364-6123
Fax: (208) 364-3160
Idaho Water Center
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702
Contact Debbie Caudle
Phone: (208) 282-7983
Fax: (208) 282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402
About the Academy
The Academy Mission
To honor eminent engineers who are University of Idaho alumni or those engineers deeply connected to Idaho’s strong legacy of global engineering impact. The Academy recognizes individuals for their personal contributions to engineering achievement, leadership, engineering education, and service to the profession and society. The Academy salutes engineering leaders for their lifetime commitment to advancing the quality of life through achievement, high ethical standards, innovation, and commitment. The responsibilities of Academy members will be to strengthen the College of Engineering through personal and professional example, by providing advisory guidance and counsel at the call of the Dean, and by encouraging personal, corporate, foundation and government gifts and grants to the Board of Trustees of the University of Idaho Foundation for the benefit of the College of Engineering at the University of Idaho.
Academy Membership Characteristics
Selected members will be living at the time of selection and distinguished for the following:
- Unique and lasting contributions to the theory and practice of engineering, demonstrated major accomplishments, or guidance in emerging fields of engineering technology, and/or
- Leadership of an organization that has made noteworthy national or international contributions in design, construction, production, or product delivery through the application of complex engineering principles, and/or
- Demonstrated exceptional service to their community, the College of Engineering, the profession, and/or the public.
- Nominations will be received by current Academy members, chairs and faculty of the College of Engineering and the engineering community.
- The nominations will be reviewed by the Dean of the College of Engineering and three members of the college leadership team. This committee will select approximately 15 candidates from the original pool of nominees.
- A packet will be produced for each one of these candidates and the packets will be reviewed and rated by current Academy members and the College of Engineering Advisory Board.
- The Dean and the three member college leadership team will review the ratings to determine 10 finalists.
- Selected members will receive a certificate and medal to be awarded at an induction ceremony. A framed photograph with a personal biography of each member of the Academy shall be prominently displayed in the College of Engineering. It will be easily read by and accessible to students. The photo and biography will also be displayed on the College’s website.
- An annual meeting of the Academy will be held in the spring academic semester. An Academy president will be selected from amongst the members. The annual meeting will include new member induction and other action or business items deemed appropriate by the members.
- The Academy will be limited to 100 living members, unlimited emeritus members (non-living), and no more than 10 new members selected in any single year.