Mental Health First Aid
is a certification program that is offered on the University of Idaho campus to help faculty, staff and students understand, and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. Just as CPR helps you assist an individual having a heart attack — even if you have no clinical training — Mental Health First Aid helps you assist someone experiencing a mental health related crisis.
This is an interactive 8-hour course that presents an overview of:
- depression and mood disorders, anxiety disorders, trauma, psychosis, and substance use disorders
- risk factors and warning signs of mental health problems
- impact of mental illness
- common treatments
Those who take the 8-hour Mental Health First Aid Course learn a 5-step action plan encompassing the skills, resources and knowledge to help an individual in crisis connect with appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help care. Courses will be held throughout the calendar year.
This is a certification course and completion of all 8 hours is necessary to gain certification. Participants needing to miss over 30 minutes of the course due to other obligations will need to register for a different date. For those needing to miss less than 30 minutes, please notify the course instructors, Emily Tuschhoff
or Sharon Fritz
, PhD, to schedule a time to cover the missed material. Additional courses will be held throughout the calendar year.
For Administrative Staff
Part I: April 29 | 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. | Idaho Commons, Aurora Room
Part II: April 30 | 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. | Idaho Commons, Aurora Room
Part I: May 21 | 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. | Idaho Commons, Aurora Room
Part II: May 22 | 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. | Idaho Commons, Aurora Room
Please check back soon for additional course dates.
- Faculty/Staff course registration is $25 per participant and can be paid by check on the 1st day of the course or by a department budget.
- Students are not charged for the courses unless they fail to attend and complete the course, which will result in the $25 registration fee being charged to their student account.
- A Text book is included in the registration fee.
- Trainings with less than 25 participants registered are subject to cancellation.
- There are a limited number of scholarships available, please contact Emily or Sharon for more information.
For more information or to inquire about hosting a course for a specific group, please contact: Emily Tuschhoff
, Campus Suicide Prevention Coordinator or Sharon Fritz, Ph.D.
, Campus Suicide Prevention Director, Counseling & Testing Center