Join MOSS to Imagine Tomorrow! (This year's webinar is full and registration is closed)
The University of Idaho and Washington State University invite you to join us for a professional development webinar series designed to enhance your energy literacy. This webinar series is a convenient way to expose educators to leading edge research in biofuels, offer access to experts in the field, and provide support for coaching a team of students for the Imagine Tomorrow problem-solving competition held annually at WSU.
A stipend of up to $1,000 will be provided to teachers who commit to coaching an Imagine Tomorrow team. Also, teachers interested in attending the webinars without supporting a team can do so for free. Webinars will be held monthly from November through May. Professional development credits available through the University of Idaho. To join, contact Karla Eitel at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 310-7081.
- How can we prepare our communities to be energy literate participants in rural economies?
- What resources exist for teaching bioenergy literacy?
- What is the NARA project doing to advance bioenergy in the Pacific Northwest?
As part of this Professional Development experience, teachers will:
- Watch presentations before the webinar and have a chance to ask questions during the webinar.
- Answer questions by video in advance of the webinar.
- Have access to blog posts and materials in advance of the webinar.
This is the fourth year we have been working on Energy Literacy with classrooms in the Northwest. Between December and May, we will connect monthly to work towards energy literacy, building Imagine Tomorrow teams, and connecting to researchers. The basic formula for us to connect monthly will look like this:
- on your own schedule before the monthly meeting, you will watch a video segment online that we will send to the cohort about a researcher or professional working on energy literacy issues.
- on your own schedule before the monthly, you will listen to an interview with that person.
- you will attend a video conference that will be *live* with the other teachers in the cohort and the researcher where we will ask questions about their work and the ‘big picture’
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
- Overview of the NARA project (20 minutes)
- Facing the Future curriculum (20 minutes)
- Questions (20 minutes)
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
- Coaching an Imagine Tomorrow Team, Andrew Morozov (40 minutes)
- IT Check-in (20 minutes)
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
- Energy Literacy Principles (Josh Sneideman, Department of Energy Fellow -- 20 minutes)
- IT check-in (20 minutes)
- Brainstorm prompts for students to get them thinking about what to address with their project (20 minutes)
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
- Life Cycle Assessment (Indroneil Ganguly, University of Washington -- 30 minutes)
- IT check-in (30 minutes)
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
- Valuable Lignin Co-products (Ian Dallemeyer, Weyerhauser -- 30 minutes)
- IT check-in (30 minutes)
Wednesday, May 13, 2015
- Feedback for IT teams (post presentations in advance -- 5 minutes each)
- IT final logistics and check-in
Imagine Tomorrow competition May 29 - 31, 2015