Jan U.H. Eitel, Researcher in Residence
College of Natural Resources
Forest, Rangeland, and Fire Sciences
Research Assistant Professor
Campus Locations: McCall Outdoor Science School
Ph.D. Natural Resources, University of Idaho
M.S. Forest Resources, University of Idaho
Pregraduate Degree Forest Ecology and Management, University of Freiburg i.Br./Germany
My primary research interest is in developing novel remote sensing tools and techniques to advance our understanding of processes that control the environment we live in and to improve the management of natural resources. I received an international education in Ecology and Natural Resource Management at the University of Freiburg i. Br./Germany and the University of Idaho. During my studies, I gained a thorough understanding of ecology, statistics, and computer programming. I also operated and used a wide variety of state-of-the art measuring tools, such as an aerial multi- and hyperspectral camera system and terrestrial laser scanner.
- Magney, T. S., Eitel, K.B., Eitel, J.U.H., Schon, J., Jansen, V.S., Rittenburg, R.A., Vierling, L.A. (accepted). Keeping a (Digital) Eye on Our Planet's Clock. The Science Teacher.
- Hudak, A.T., Strand, E.K., Vierling, L.V., Byrne, J., Eitel, J.U.H., Martinuzzi, S., Falkowski, M.J. 2012. Quantifying Aboveground Forest Carbon Pools and Fluxes from Repeat LiDAR Surveys. Remote Sensing of Environment, doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2012.02.023.
- Eitel, J.U.H., Vierling, L.A., Litvak, M.E., Long, D.S., Schulthess, U., Ager, A.A., Krofcheck, D.J., Stoscheck, L. 2011. Broadband, red-edge information from satellites improves early stress detection in a New Mexico conifer woodland. Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 3640-3646.
- Sankey, J.B. †, Eitel, J.U.H. †, Glenn, N.F., Germino, M.J., Vierling, L.A. 2011. Quantifying relationships of burning, roughness, and potential dust emission with laser altimetry of soil surfaces at submeter scales. Geomorphology, 135, 181-190. (†=equal first authorship)
- Eitel, J.U.H., Williams, C.J., Vierling, L.A., Al-Hamdan, O.Z., Pierson, F.B.
- Site-specific climate friendly farming Source of Support: USDA
- Fire and erosion in western rangelands Source of Support: Bureau of Land Management
- CI-TEAM Demo: Adventure Learning through Water and McCall Outdoor Science School (MOSS) Source of Support: NSF
- “Quantifying thresholds in arctic tundra vegetation structure and ecosystem function using LiDAR and multispectral remote sensing” Source of Support: NASA
- Instructor, Getting Into Science (GIS) summer camp, June 24-29, 2012, University of Idaho McCall Field Campus, McCall, Idaho
- Facilitating the development of a strategic plan for a field research station at the University of Idaho’s McCall Field Campus, 2011-2012
- Instructor, Geospatial Tools for Educators, July 12-15, 2011, University of Idaho McCall Field Campus, McCall, Idaho
- Member of the "Department of Interior Strategic Sciences Working Group" that was established in response to the Deep Water Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, 2010 Presenter, Discover Engineering Day, 'Natural Hazards and Engineering Challenges for the Urban-Wildland Interface', 2010, Boise State University
- 2009 Outstanding graduate student, College of Natural Resources, University of Idaho
- 2009 Outstanding graduate student, Forest Resources Department, College of Natural Resources, University of Idaho