<h2>Shaping the Written Word</h2>
Undergo intensive writing training and examine a variety of literary genres to understand how English language and literature shape and reflect cultures around the world as an English major. Strengthen your critical thinking and writing skills to prepare for your career in education, publishing, communications, politics and more.
- Professors & Teachers
- Poets & Novelists
- Travel writers
- Financial advisors
- Bookstore managers
$25,000-$40,000 depending on experience and other training
- Capstone course for the professional emphasis includes community service
- Semester in the Wild Program offers students the chance to study at UI’s Taylor Wilderness Research
- Station for a full semester (two English courses taught as part of an interdisciplinary curriculum)
- Tutoring at the Writing Center allows students to improve their own skills while gaining tutoring and editing experience
Internships are available to students at the Fugue literary magazine; service learning opportunities in the community, such as writing for local businesses; and writing opportunities for on-campus publications.
- Sigma Tau Delta (national English honor society) chapter (active for 25+ years)
- First Book service project