Crafter's License

The Crafter's license is designed to provide small, home based entrepreneurs with an opportunity to partner their creativity with the brand recognition of the University in creating unique items incorporating the University's trademarks. We also hope that this program will be used by local entrepreneurs to test the market, before entering into a broader retail license with the University through The Collegiate Licensing Company.

Outlined below are some of the elements that are incorporated into the Crafter License Program:

  • Items must be hand-made; no commercially manufactured items are allowed.
  • If anticipated sales exceed 500 units or sales revenue exceeds $2,500 in one year, please refer to for more information on the Local or Standard Licenses available through the University’s licensing agent, The Collegiate Licensing Company.
  • A Crafter’s License allows for sales to individual consumers only, not via wholesale or a third party retailer. Sales may not be conducted through retail stores.
  • A Crafter’s License is only available to individuals within the state of Idaho or in Whitman County, Washington.
  • A $100 licensing fee will be charged by the University on an annual basis for gross sales up to $1,000 per year with the following additional fees payable at the end of the year if annual gross sales exceed $1,000;
    • $50 for gross sales between $1,000 and $1,500
    • $100 for gross sales between $1,500 and $2,000; and
    • $150 for gross sales between $2,000 and $2,500
  • The Crafter is required to bear all risk in respect of the articles and hold the University harmless. The Crafter may wish to purchase product liability insurance.
  • Licenses are valid for a twelve month period and may be renewed at the sole discretion of the University.
    • A three month holiday license (for the months October - December) is also available. Please note your request for this shorter license on your application.
    • A $50 licensing fee will be charged for the holiday license for gross sales up to $500 with the same additional fees as notated above with an additional bullet of $50 for gross sales between $500 and $1,000.
  • Upon execution of a license and receipt of the licensing fee, an Officially Licensed Collegiate Craft certificate will be provided by University for display by the Crafter. Holograms are not currently available to craft products due to costs.

The application form should be completed and submitted together with an image, photograph, or sample of the proposed product to Sue Chen, Director of Trademark & Licensing at the address below or emailed to

Once the samples are reviewed and approved, a Crafter’s License Agreement will be sent to the Crafter for review and signature. This License Agreement should be returned with a check or money order made payable to “University of Idaho” and sent to: Director of Trademark & Licensing, University Communications, University of Idaho, 875 Perimeter Drive MS 3150, Moscow ID 83844-3150

Crafter's License Request Form