Vandal Gold Turkey and Stuffing Meatballs with Cranberry Glaze
These melt-in-your mouth meatballs integrate the Thanksgiving leftovers theme by incorporating turkey and stuffing accented by a cranberry glaze - all staples of a Thanksgiving meal. The succulent turkey and savory stuffing are mixed (with a hint of spices!) and formed into balls which are then baked to a perfect golden shade which represents one of our Vandal pride colors. Also, the recipe is very versatile in that it can be made with pre-cooked turkey. We chose to accompany these meatballs with a sweet cranberry glaze as a perfect contrast to the hearty turkey and stuffing flavor. You will find that this recipe is a hit during the Thanksgiving holiday and becomes a delicious outlet for all those Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Amanda Holt and Abigail Smith
Yield: 6 Servings
Portion: 4 Meatballs
Cook Time: 20-25 Minutes
- 1 box (6 oz.) herb-seasoned stuffing*
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken stock*
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 T. rosemary
- 1 T. sage
- 1.5 lb. ground turkey*
- 1/2 c. apples, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1/2 c. onions, diced (optional)
- 1 can (16 oz.) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 c. sugar
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix boiling water, melted butter, and chicken stock. Add to stuffing; mix well.
- Add ground turkey, apples and onions (if using) to stuffing mixture and mix well. Incorporate the beaten egg, rosemary and sage.
- Form into 1-inch balls and place evenly on baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, empty contents of jellied cranberry sauce into a saucepan and add sugar.
- Heat slowly and stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with meatballs.
* Note: For a great way to incorporate your Thanksgiving leftovers, recipe can be made with leftover stuffing, turkey stock and cooked turkey that has been prepared ahead of time. Simply chop the cooked turkey or grind it yourself.