Editorial guidelines are used to edit copy of all materials produced by University Communications staff. We also use the Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style.
We've developed a style guide to help with style, grammar, and common university terms.
Write to your audience.
- If appropriate, use informal, personal language like "you" and "we" to engage your readers.
- We've developed a style guide to help with style, grammar, and common university terms. Include information that supports and highlights your program or service's unique strengths.
- Make it readable: Write with an active voice, using short sentences and easily understood words.
- Make it look readable: Use subheads and brief paragraphs to organize text into manageable, informative sections. Sometimes it helps to write the subheads first and fill in the details later.
- Tell your readers what you want them to do: fill in the response card and mail it; call for more information; visit your Web site.