Graduation Requirements FAQs

  • When I met with my advisor, he/she substituted a class for one required for my major; why doesn't it show up on my Degree Audit?
    When a substitution (or waiver) for a degree requirement has been made, you and your advisor need to complete a Degree Audit Substitution/Waiver Request to submit to the Registrar's Office to update your degree audit.
  • Can I graduate with a General Studies major?
    Yes, UI offers a Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) degree. BGS majors are advised by college advisors in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences.
  • How do I check my progress toward graduation?
    Your Degree Audit is the primary tool to track your progress toward graduation. You may access your Degree Audit by logging into VandalWeb.
  • What is the difference between Degree Audit and degree shopping?
    Degree audit tracks a students' progress toward their declared major(s) and/or minor(s), while degree shopping will allow students' to explore their progress toward any of the available degree programs in specific Catalog years.
  • What is an elective?
    The term elective refers to any course that isn't specifically required for your major or by your department, college, or to meet general university requirements.
  • Am I required to take both Fall and Spring Core Discovery Course?
    It will depend upon what year you were admitted and began attending the UI. If you began attending Summer 2003 through Spring 2004 (under the 2003 General Catalog) you are required to take ONE semester of Core Discovery. If you began attending Summer 2004 or later (under the 2004 General Catalog) you are required to complete TWO semesters of Core Discovery.