Contact Us

Veterans Assistance

Veterans Assistance Office 
Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 2431
Moscow, ID 83844-2431
Phone: (208) 885-7989
Fax: (208) 885-9494

Dan Button
Veterans Advisor
Phone: (208) 885-7979
TLC, Room 232B
Email Dan Button

Scott Oplinger

Assistant Veterans Advisor
(at the Veterans Center)
Idaho Commons, Room 305
Phone: (208) 885-7989
Email Scott Oplinger

Image of a serviceman returning home to his family

Getting Started/FAQs

Residency and GI Bill Status 

  • Am I an in-state or out-of-state student?
    You can attend the University of Idaho under the GI Bill if you are an Idaho Resident and also if you are an out-of-state resident, but the process is different for in-state and out-of-state applicants.

    Out-of-State Residents:

    • Post 9/11 GI Bill/Chapter 33 Recipients

      If you are an out-of-state applicant you will need to qualify and apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

    • Montgomery GI Bill and Other GI Bill Chapter

      If you do not qualify as an Idaho resident, you will be charged out-of-state tuition, unless you qualify for any other university waivers.

    • Gaining Residency Upon Separation:

      A veteran may qualify for Idaho residency if he/she is separated under honorable conditions from the Armed Forces after at least two years of service and at the time of separation designated the state of Idaho as their intended domicile or indicated Idaho as their home of record of service; and will be entering the university within one year of the date of separation, or who moves to Idaho for the purpose of establishing domicile; provided however, to maintain status as a resident student, such person must actively establish domicile in Idaho within one (1) year of matriculation in a public institution of higher education in Idaho. The dependent of a person who qualifies as a resident student under this paragraph and who receives at least fifty percent (50%) support from such person shall also be a resident student.

    Idaho Residents:

    If you are an in-state applicant your next step is to identify your Anticipated Start Date.

    Unsure of your residency status?

    Determine if you are an Idaho State Resident and learn how to become an Idaho Resident at the Office of the Registrar.

    Action Items:

    • In-State Residents: Identify Your Anticipated Start Date
    • Out-of-State Residents: Learn about the Yellow Ribbon Program at U-Idaho
    • Not sure if you are an Idaho Resident?
    • Want to become an Idaho Resident?

  • What do I do if I am a Post 9/11 GI Bill Out-of-State Resident?

    The University of Idaho is a Yellow Ribbon Program School
    This Means:

    • All resident tuition & fees are paid by the Post 9/11 GI Bill
    • 100% of out-of-state tuition is covered through an agreement between the the University of Idaho and the Veterans Administration. 
    • 75 student Yellow Ribbon placements are available for Academic Year 2014-2015
    • Placements are granted on a first-come, first-serve basis with current enrolled students grandfathered into the program. Placements for Fall 2014 are currently available. When placements are filled, applicants are placed on a wait-list.

    Learn More About the Yellow Ribbon Program

    Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate of 100% (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate).

    Therefore, you may be eligible if:

    • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
    • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
    • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
  • What do I do if I am a Montgomery/Other GI Bill Out-of-State Resident?

    If you do not qualify as an Idaho resident, you will be charged out-of-state tuition, unless you qualify for any other University of Idaho tuition waivers.

    • The University of Idaho does not offer veteran specific waivers or assistance other than for Yellow Ribbon Qualifying applicants, but there are a number of other scholarships and financial aid opportunities available.
    • When you fill out your University of Idaho Application you are also completing the first step in applying for financial aid and scholarships.
    • The second step is to fill out your FAFSA
    • Then the University automatically begins to find any financial aid for which you might qualify for.
    • The third step is to evaluate the Financial Aid that might be available to you

    Action Items:

    -Learn about gaining Idaho Residency
    -Learn about Financial Aid at the University of Idaho

  • What is My Anticipated Start Date?
    An Anticipated Start Date  is when you expect to start attending the University of Idaho (e.g. Fall Semester 2013, Spring 2014). 

    This can depend on when your expiration of active service ends; if you have time to apply and gather the necessary application materials (transcripts if you qualify as a transfer student, or SAT/ACT scores if you are a new student); and relocation time before the beginning of the next semester.

    Identifying which semester you would like to begin at the University of Idaho will help us help you in your application process both at the University of Idaho and for your Veterans benefits. 
  • How do I Apply for the GI Bill?

    Applying for Benefits:

    • If you are in the Moscow area you may schedule an appointment with the Veterans Assistance Office for help with your application including submission; call 208-885-7979 or 208-885-7989 or email:

    Having the following documents can make the application process easier:

    1. Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD form 214, Member 4 copy) for all periods of active duty service
    2. DD Form 2384, also known as the Notice of Basic Eligibility, if applying for the Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves (Chapter 1606)
    3. Copies of orders if activated from the Guard/Reserves
    4. Supporting documents (e.g., vouchers, statements) for buy-up or buy-in contributions (only applies for Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty)
    5. College fund "Kicker Contracts" for additional monthly payments that you may receive from the Department of Defense through your branch of the Service.

    Additional Resources:

    Check out 10 Tips for Veterans at College from US News and World Report

  • What if I am a Transfer Student?

    Many Veterans are Transfer Students:

    A transfer student already has at least 14 college-level credits. Applying as a transfer student is as easy as 1..2..3..
    1. You will need to apply,
    2. have your previous college credits evaluated so they can be transfered to Idaho,
    3.  prepare to register for your classes

    At the University of Idaho a transfer students should have at least 14 college credits a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (C average) on all college-level study attempted in all accredited colleges attended, exclusive of course for which credits are not allowed.

    Students transferring from out-of-state schools in the College of Engineering must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.80. Other departments may have additional requirements pertaining to transfer students.

    Applicants with fewer than 14 semester hours of transfer credit since high school graduation must meet both
    freshman and transfer admission requirements, including submission of the required test scores. (See
    "Freshman Admission Requirements," above.)

    Transfer students do not need to submit SAT/ACT scores when applying as long as they have a certified GPA in transfer transcripts. 

    All Veterans are Non-Traditional Students:

    There are a lot of new terms to get used to in transitioning from military life to college life. You will probably hear the term Non-Traditional Student from time to time. 

    A Non-Traditional Student is an undergraduate student who answers yes to one or more of the following:
    • A veteran of the US armed forces
    • Older than 23
    • A Parent
    • Married
    • Attending the University after taking a break between high school and college
    • The primary caregiver of elderly parents
    An estimated 20-40 percent of our undergraduate students at the University of Idaho are non-traditional students. The University of Idaho provides services and programs to help non-traditional students, keeping in mind that almost all non-traditional students are pursuing their education in addition to demands outside the classroom including families and work. 

  • Do I Need to Know My Service Dates?
    • Certified copies of your separation papers, form DD-214, should be submitted with an initial application for benefits.
    • Submission of a DD-214 is not necessary for students who have used the benefit before. All forms should be mailed, emailed, faxed, or brought in person to the University of Idaho Veterans Assistance Office.
    • If you have multiple periods of non-continuous active duty, the most current and previous DD-214s are advisable.
  • What Chapters of the GI Bill do I qualify for?

    To Determine GI Bill Eligibility

    • You may be eligible for more than one chapter of GI Bill so it is important to determine what you may rate and what will be to your best advantage if qualified for more than one. 
    • It may be helpful to view the Benefit Comparison Chart on the GI Bill Website
    • If you have questions concerning your eligibility contact the National GI Bill Call Center toll free at 888-442-4551 Mon - Fri 0500-1700 Pacific Time.   
    • Should you then have additional questions or concerns regarding eligibility and/or use of benefits at U-Idaho contact the Veterans Assistance Office at or (208) 885-7989.

Applying @ Idaho

  • How does the process work at the University of Idaho?

    Applying for Admissions

    You can apply online for admission to the University of Idaho.  
    There are admission sections for:

    Applying for the GI Bill and Other Veterans Benefits

    GI Bill:

    • Determine if you are eligible to receive GI Bill Education Benefits and if so what chapter. To do so, visit GIBILL.VA.GOV
    • If eligible for more than one benefit, determine which is most beneficial in your situation. There is a comparison tool on the VA website.
    • Apply for the GI Bill Education Benefits, using VONAPP on the VA website.
    • Notify the University of Idaho Veterans Advisor of Award of Benefits, Intent to Attend, Admission and Anticipated Start Date. To do so, once you are registered for classes, submit our Request for Certification from our website each semester.

    Other Veterans Benefits:

    Once you are Admitted:

    Once you are admitted you should check out the Admitted Students website
    You can also watch these videos by Andrew Brewick, Director of Academic Advising on how to register for classes.
    If you are a transfer student there is a separate set of videos just for you on registering as a transfer student.
  • How Long Does it Take to Get Approved?

    GI Bill Approval:

    The first GI Bill benefit check will traditionally be received approximately six weeks after the first day of class. 
    Veterans benefit allowances, Department of Veterans Affairs programs and policies, and University of Idaho services and procedures frequently change. To obtain current information about VA benefits, your eligibility for benefits, rate and method of payment, or the address of the nearest regional office, call 1-888-442-4551.
  • Is Idaho a Good Fit for Me?
    To get the most out of your GI Bill and Benefits it is helpful to ask yourself some questions when considering where to go and how to use your benefits to best suit your needs. We want the University of Idaho to be the right fit for you, a place where you will thrive and succeed.

    Helpful Questions to Consider:

  • Do I have to take the ACT/SAT?
    If you are attending college for the first time, you will need to present ACT or SAT scores. If you have not taken the ACT or SAT you can do that at many locations in the US and at some international locations. The University of Idaho Counseling and Testing Center administers both tests.  

    Fees for approved required tests can be reimbursed by the Department of Veterans Affairs, learn more at the GI Bill Website page on National Testing Program Q&A.

    After taking the approved test, fill out the Reimbursement Form and submit it to the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you have questions or need to use a fax machine, stop by the Veterans Center in Idaho Commons room 305 on the University of Idaho Moscow Campus.

    Transfer Students:

    If you are a transfer student with a certified GPA from another college or university, then you do not need to submit ACT or SAT scores to apply for admission.

    Action Items:
    Sign up to take the SAT
    Sign up to take the ACT
    Learn about taking the ACT/SAT at the University of Idaho Counseling and Testing Center
    Learn about being reimbursed for your test fees

  • How do I fill out the FAFSA?

    What is the FAFSA?

    The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid it can be filled out online, and it can be filled out at any time, but to receive priority consideration for all aid, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be received by the U.S. Department of Education Federal Processor by February 15, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time. You can file your FAFSA after the priority date, but some types of aid will be limited after that date.

    Action Item:

    Helpful hints for filing the FAFSA:
  • What about Disability Screening

    Disability Support Services:

    The University of Idaho has a Disability Support Services Office that will assist you in determining eligibility for services and assistance to accommodate for qualifying disabilities. Services offered by Disability Support Services include assistive technology, alternate text, notetaking, testing accommodations, hearing-loss services, learning disability and ADHD/ADD services as well as accessibility maps and list of accessible classrooms and information about shuttle services on campus.   

    The Veterans Assistance Office and the Disability Support Services offices are co-located in the Idaho Commons. 

    Disability Determination and Ratings:

    The Veterans Administration is responsible for disability determination and ratings. The local resource for assistance with disability ratings is the Latah County Veterans Services Department, the Veterans Service Officer (VSO), Mr. Tom Idol may be contacted at (208) 883-2274. Office hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. -5 p.m. and Wednesday from 8 a.m.-noon. 
  • Will I Get Credits for My Military Service and Training

    Military Service and Training Evaluation for Credit

  • What are the Important Dates and Deadlines?

    Important Dates and Deadlines for Veterans Assistance:

    For New GI Bill Students:

    • To have GI Bill Benefits available at the start of the semester allow 4-6 weeks from the submission of the GI Bill Application to the Veterans Administration for review and approval of eligibility and award of benefits (issuance of Certificate of Eligibility).
    • Meet in person or via telephone with the U-Idaho Veterans Advisor to provide basic background data necessary to establish a local case file. The Veterans Assistance Office is located in the Idaho Commons building, room 305, or call (208) 885-7979.  
    • Submit the University of Idaho GI Bill Enrollment Certification Request Form 120 days prior to start of semester/session, or as soon as possible.
    • Plan on registering for New Student Orientation; you may register in advance online

    For Current GI Bill Students: 

    • Submit the University of Idaho GI Bill Enrollment Certification Request Form 120 days prior to start of semester/session, or as soon as possible. 
    • Once you have submitted the GI Bill Enrollment Certification Request Form, notify the Veterans Assistance Office within 72 hours if there is any change in course credit load (courses added or dropped, or a change in course fees). 
    • Notify the Veterans Assistance Office of any type of withdrawal, medical or otherwise, as soon as practicable or no later than 1 week after withdrawing.

    Important University of Idaho Dates and Deadlines:

Once You are Here

  • Why do Veterans have a Registration Hold?

    Beginning with the Spring 2014 term we are placing a Registration Hold on your account after we’ve captured your credits and dollars for the term to submit to the VA.

    Now, just to be clear, here is the general sequence of events: you would first register, then submit your Enrollment Certification Request to us, then we capture your credits and dollars. It is at this point that we place the hold on your account to protect you from making enrollment changes after we’ve submitted your Enrollment Certification to the VA.

    We are trying to help you by first discussing any potential enrollment changes that could reduce your VA benefits. This means that you will not be able to Add, Drop, or Withdraw from a class until you contact us by phone or in person. Once we’ve discussed the implications of the changes you wish to make, and determine that they are in your best interests, we’ll lift the hold while you make the changes and then re-impose the hold as soon as your changes are complete.

    We’ll do our best to provide you while-you-wait service. You can call either Dan or I, or visit the Veterans Center in person, which would be most welcome. We will set the hold to automatically expire each term at midnight on the Sunday prior to registration week for the following term.

  • What are Partial-Term Courses?

    During Fall and Spring Terms there are actually three terms each. While most courses are full-term, some aren’t, and you have to watch for these because we are required to report them separately to the VA.

    Partial-term courses typically meet for either the first half or the second half of the term.

    How does this directly affect you? If you’re registered for 12 credits total but one course is worth one credit and only meets for the first half of the term, then we have to report this course separately to the VA. Then during the second half of the term you aren’t full time. Not good. There are even 2 and 3 credit courses offered that aren’t full term, so again, watch closely for these when you register.

  • What do I need to know about Spring Tuition & Fees Posting in January?

    Most Veterans attending UI will be impacted by Student Account’s (and the IRS’s) decision to post Spring term Tuition & Fees in January instead of December. What this means to you is that we won’t have the dollar amounts we need to submit to the VA until January, preventing us from submitting your enrollment certifications for Spring term until then.

    This will affect all Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), Chapter 30 (MGIB) Active Duty only, Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment), plus all students at less than half-time. This will not affect GI Bill Benefits for Chapter 30 (MGIB) not on Active Duty, Chapter 35 (DEA), or Chapters 1606 or 1607 (Reserves or National Guard).

    While you might see some delay in receiving your first deposit in January, we’ll do our best to get everything submitted as quickly as possible. Any late fees on your UI Student Account will be reversed once your VA monies arrive and your account is current.

  • What about Health Insurance?
    Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) can be covered by Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill.

    All students are billed for SHIP initially until and if they waive it with proof of other insurance. So if you already have other insurance, you should contact the SHIP office to waive SHIP.

    The SHIP office is temporarily located on the 4th floor of the Idaho Commons building. Importantly, the Student Health Clinic on campus will not be open Fall 2014 due to construction, and the pharmacy will not reopen once construction is complete.

    Moscow Family Medicine, which also manages the Student Health Clinic on campus, is the place students will go for healthcare temporarily; they are located at 623 South Main Street, across from Gritman Medical Center, about a 5-10 minute walk from campus.
    Chapter 33, Post 9/11 students note: If you waive SHIP at any time after July you must inform us. Otherwise, we may include SHIP in your VA claim, and then it is a mess to fix, and you might get a letter of indebtedness from the VA.
  • What about Summer School?

    Many students consider attending Summer School and ask us about this.

    One of the biggest questions is “Will I receive full benefits during Summer term?” Before we answer that question, there are some things to understand about Summer term. Most importantly, it is not one term, but actually nine separate sessions within the term.

    Session lengths are 3, 4, 6, or 8 weeks. If you were able to take three courses for four weeks each consecutively, then you could be full time for 12 weeks. But what if the sessions overlap? Then there could be a period of time where you’re more than full time and other periods where you’re not full time.

    A couple more considerations: there aren’t many students here during the Summer and we’ve seen courses canceled. Our advice is to check with each college/department to see if they consider the course you’re wanting to take a risk for cancellation.

    Maybe even more significantly, Summer courses are compressed, meaning that they come at you very fast. You can’t fall behind by even one day in many cases, so be ready for this. You’ll complete them quickly, but they do occur very rapidly.

    Maybe this goes without saying, but be mentally prepared for Summer term – there are few students here and you may ask yourself “Why am I here?” Keep your goals firmly in mind. Make a good, informed choice between attending Summer term or working for the Summer and setting some savings aside – and resting your brain. Here is a good graphic to illustrate Summer Term at UI.