CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the United States today, helping students of all ages earn college degrees faster by getting credit for what they already know. By receiving a satisfactory score, you can earn from 3 to 8 college credits toward your college degree for each CLEP you take, depending on the exam subject. Since the exams are administered on a computer, results are available to you immediately.
Shorten your path to a college degree -- with CLEP!
- Save time. Get college credit for what you already know. Be rewarded for what you've learned through independent study, advanced high school courses, noncredit adult courses, or professional development.
- Save money. Compare the cost of a CLEP exam, just $75-$100, to hundreds -- even thousands -- of dollars in tuition.
- Make college more interesting. Move right into advanced courses.
- Graduate on time. CLEP can help you to the finish line if you're a few credits shy of graduating.
- Satisfy a proficiency requirement. Demonstrate you've already mastered the content of, for example, a basic math or language course. Great for dual-degree candidates or students just a few credits shy of graduation.
Testing is done by appointment and generally takes approximately 2 hours. To make an appointment, call 208-885-5138 or come to Mary Forney Hall, Room 306.
- payable by credit card (VISA, MC, American Express) (preferred)
- also payable by check or money order (made out to ETS-CLEP) at the time of testing. Cash is not accepted.
$20 for UI students
$30 for non-UI students
- Payable by check, money order (made out to Bursar, University of Idaho) or cash at time appointment is scheduled
What to bring to the center:
You will need to bring proper identification: a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or passport) that includes your signature. A student ID or a credit card photo will not be considered acceptable forms of identification. We will provide you with everything else you need.
For information on the CLEP exams recognized for credit at the University of Idaho, click here
For a description of the various tests available click here