Campus Trademark Use
There is a new option for Ordering Custom Merchandise for departments and organizations associated with the university. The Ordering Custom Merchandise link will connect you directly with the vendors that can produce the items you want. Through this site you will be able to get multiple quotes from approved UofI vendors, ensuring that you are choosing the vendor that best meets the specific needs for your project. All seven of the steps below are simplified through this one portal. You will also have a complete history of all past purchases so that you can keep track of what you have previously ordered.
If you prefer, and know ahead of time who you want to purchase your items from, you can still opt to fill out the Merchandise Order Request form directly.
To get an idea of the products available for events, promotions, and other occasions you can request catalogs from licensed vendors to get a handle of the scope of options available. But generally if you can think it up, it can be done.
Pricing is highly dependent on quantity; depending on the item, you may pay far less per item when buying 1,000, say, rather than 250. Take these steps to ensure you get the best price:
- Call at least three different licensed vendors to ask for pricing.
- Be sure to ask about shipping charges, set-up fees, rush charges, low-minimum fees, and charges for additional imprint colors. (An item's price typically includes printing with one color, with each additional color incurring an extra fee.)
- Keep in mind the variables affecting a product's price. With apparel, for instance, the cost of embroidering is calculated by stitch count, not by the number of colors, and black T-shirts cost more, as do XXL shirts.
- Prices from licensed vendors are frequently lower than those listed in a catalog or web site; be sure to call to confirm pricing.
When choosing a vendor, check our list of licensed vendors to ensure the company is authorized to sell products with the Idaho name. You should be comfortable not only with the company's pricing, but also with the level of customer service and ability to deliver the product on time.
Be sure to ask for a sample of the product you intend to buy - you want to make sure you get what you're expecting; vendors will typically provide a sample upon request. It is especially important to request samples of T-shirts and golf shirts because of the number of variables affecting the price, such as whether a shirt is 100 percent cotton or 50 percent cotton/50 percent polyester.
You will have a variety of options for the design of your product. Our licensed vendors are experienced at working with members of the Idaho community; they will assist you in obtaining the desired logos and securing the necessary approvals for your design. They will also provide design assistance for a fee. The Trademark & Licensing department is available to answer questions about the use of Idaho's name and logos. Please contact us via email.
Before you place an order, make sure you have done the following:
- Chosen a licensed vendor
- Researched pricing
- Asked about shipping charges, set-up fees, and any additional charges
- Reviewed samples and approved artwork