Geology Graduate – a former Olympic Paddler
July 2015 | William Brock, The Spokesman Review
UI geology graduate, Jeff Larimer, recently completed a master’s degree and is now pursuing a doctorate in fluvial geomorphology with advisor Brian Yanites. Many of his fellow classmates may be unaware that Larimer is a former Olympic paddler, having competed in the 2012 Games in London. He also competed—and won gold—at the 2012 Pan American Games in Brazil.
Geological Society of Nevada 2015 Symposium
Andrew Canada (PhD student, geological sciences, advisor: Elizabeth Cassel) won the first place award for Best Student Poster at the Geological Society of Nevada 2015 Symposium. (This is a once every five years event, and included attendees from both industry and academia. The award included a $500 prize.)
2015 Geology Department Award Winners
- Dean's Award for Outstanding Senior — Beverly Burtenshaw
- Outstanding Senior in Geology — Tyler J. Pierson
- Outstanding Junior in Geology — Marie Danes
- Liselle Batt Award (based on performance, outstanding field skills and participation in field camp) — Silas Z. Whitley
- Alumni Achievement Award (based on outstanding scholarship and service to the department) — Thomas A. Morrow
- Jensen Award (based on academic achievement and citizenship) — Andrew Canada
Gunterite: New Mineral Named for Geology Professor
Mickey Gunter, University of Idaho geology professor, was been honored by the International Mineralogical Association, which voted in 2011 to name a newly discovered mineral after him.