Our Purpose. Our Future.
Over the next 10 years, we can reshape Idaho’s higher education landscape and strengthen our university.
We believe that research universities prepare their students not just with today’s knowledge, but with the ability to discover new knowledge, to solve novel problems, to lead — and thereby, to construct the future.
The University of Idaho is Idaho’s major public research university, serving a land-grant mission in support of Idaho’s economy and society by educating students at the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels to meet the needs of Idaho and our region; by conducting basic and applied research, scholarship and creative activity of impact and purpose; and by engaging statewide to improve the lives of Idahoans. Education at UI is not simply the transmission of knowledge, but the preparation to become a problem solver and lifelong learner.
UI will serve any qualified student, with a focus on enabling all qualified Idaho students access to education at a research university. Our resident students will be a cross-section of Idaho in ethnic, socioeconomic and demographic terms.
The university will be a purpose-driven organization — a vibrant intellectual community that attracts, retains and develops great faculty and staff. We can achieve this by generating additional resources and by using our resources effectively, improving our physical and professional environment.
Three Pillars That Support Our Vision
- Educate students in what is known today and, guided by our faculty and staff, help students discover what is not yet known and how to construct their futures.
- Embrace every qualified Idaho high school student, expecting our resident students to be a representative cross-section of Idaho, complemented by students from other states and countries.
- Continue to be the outstanding graduate and professional education university in Idaho.
- Cultivate Idaho’s 21st-century workforce, preparing graduates with the skills, perspectives and experiences that will foster shared prosperity in an increasingly knowledge-based, global economy.
Ideas That Matter
- Focus on the basic and applied ideas – across disciplines, and in research, scholarly activity and creative work – that have an impact on our state, our nation and our world.
- Engage as a dynamic land-grant institution throughout our state in partnership with and in support of Idaho’s communities and major industries, in traditional areas such as agriculture, in other established and vital industries, and in nascent enterprises that contribute to economic growth and strength.
- Unite our university’s faculty, staff and student body through robust scholarship in a world-class environment for teaching, learning and discovery.
Building Our Team
- Become a purpose-driven organization, a vibrant intellectual community that attracts, retains, and develops great faculty and staff.
- Develop a compensation philosophy and practice that recognizes excellence and provides competitive salaries.
- Grow into a results-oriented, nimble organization, able to quickly and effectively respond to emerging trends, challenges and opportunities.