Wendy Gerwick Couture
Wendy Gerwick Couture
Professor of Law
College of Law
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0015
- JD (summa cum laude), Southern Methodist University
- BA (summa cum laude) economics and French, Duke University
Wendy Gerwick Couture is a Professor of Law at the University of Idaho, where she teaches Securities Regulation, White Collar Crime, Property Security, and Negotiable Instruments.
Professor Couture is committed to academic excellence. She received her B.A. from Duke University, where she graduated summa cum laude and was elected to membership in the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. Professor Couture earned her J.D., summa cum laude, from Southern Methodist University, graduating first in her class. She also served as Texas Survey Editor of the SMU Law Review and was elected to membership in the Order of the Coif.
Professor Couture brings diverse legal experience to the classroom. After law school, she clerked for the Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. She then practiced business and commercial law at a large firm in Dallas, Texas, and at a boutique firm in Olympia, Washington. Finally, she served as an Assistant Professor of Law at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, Texas.
Professor Couture enjoys contributing to legal scholarship. Her articles have been published in the Alabama Law Review, Louisiana Law Review, University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law, Baylor Law Review, Seattle University Law Review, Albany Law Review, Penn State Law Review Penn Statim, Pepperdine Law Review, and Securities Regulation Law Journal. Professor Couture's scholarship is available on the Social Science Research Network: Wendy Gerwick Couture. Slides from her presentations are available on SlideShare: Wendy Couture.
- Securities Regulation
- White Collar Crime
- Materiality and a Theory of Legal Circularity, 17 U. Pa. J. Bus. L. __ (forthcoming 2015).
- The PSLRA Discovery Stay Meets Complex Litigation: Five Questions Answered, 42 Sec. Reg. L.J. 243 (2014)
- The Collision Between the First Amendment and Securities Fraud, 65 Ala. L. Rev. 903 (2014).
- Securities Regulation of Alternative Litigation Finance, 42 Sec. Reg. L.J. 5 (2014).
- Around the World of Securities Fraud in 80 Motions to Dismiss, 45 Loy. U. Chi. L.J. 553 (2014).
- Opinions Actionable As Securities Fraud, 73 La. L. Rev. 381 (2013).
- The End of the Vexatiousness Rationale, 41 Sec. Reg. L.J. 301 (2013).
- Criminal Securities Fraud and the Lower Materiality Standard, 41 Sec. Reg. L.J. 77 (2013).
- The Falsity-Scienter Inference, 40 Sec. Reg. L.J. 303 (2012).
- Mixed Statements: The Safe Harbor’s Rocky Shore, 39 Sec. Reg. L.J. 257 (2011).
- Board of Directors, Federal Defender Services of Idaho.
- Governing Council, Business and Corporate Law Section of the Idaho State Bar.
- Board of Directors, Idaho Women Lawyers.
- Columnist, Business Insider (published by the Idaho Statesman)
- Speaker, “Top 10 Business Cases From the Past Year,” Balancing Precision and Flexibility: Advanced Contracting Techniques, Idaho State Bar Business and Corporate Law Section Annual CLE, Boise, Idaho, May 9, 2014
- Peter E. Heiser Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2014.
- Recipient, “Women of the Year,” awarded by the Idaho Business Review, 2013.
- Recipient, “Idaho Accomplished Under 40,” awarded by the Idaho Business Review, 2012.
Recent Blog Posts
Posted Mon, 15 May 2017 00:00:00 -0700On May 12, 2017, for the sixth year in a row, Professor Wendy Gerwick Couture presented on the “Top 10 Business Law Cases of the Year”. Read more
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2017 00:00:00 -0700On March 22, 2017, Professor Wendy Gerwick Couture presented the Business Law Update at the Fourth District Bar Association’s annual Spring Case Review. Read more