Finding Us

IPO Office

phone: (208) 885-8984
fax: (208) 885-2859

Mailing address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Physical address:
901 Paradise Creek Street
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

F-2 Status

The spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 of a student in F-1 status are eligible for F-2 status. Only spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 are eligible for a Form I-20 to support F-2 status. When a student applies to the University of Idaho, they must provide additional funds to receive an I-20 for their F-2 dependent(s).

If a student is already attending the University of Idaho and would like their dependents to apply for an F-1 visa stamp, they must complete the I-20 request form and provide the appropriate financials indicated in the Certificate of Financial Responsibility.

The F-2 status of spouses and children is dependent on the student's F-1 status. If the student is not in status, his or her spouse and children are not in status. F-2 spouses and children must also maintain a valid passportvalid Form I-20 and valid Form I-94.

Dependents eligible for F-2 status may apply for an F-2 visa stamp with their F-1 spouse or parent. Most consulates will schedule F-1 and F-2 visa applications at the same time, but it is important that consulates are informed that there will be accompanying F-2 applicants at the time that a visa application interview is scheduled.

Individuals in F-2 status are not eligible to pursue postsecondary education and are not eligible to engage in any type of employment. Before engaging in any endeavor that is linked to education or some type of work or volunteerism, the student should verify with International Student, Scholar and Faculty Services if it is possible for their spouse or child to do so. If there is any remuneration for services, the endeavor is almost definitely unlawful employment. Unlawful employment can also be unpaid work.

Dependents residing in the U.S. in a qualifying status may also be eligible to change status in the U.S. To do so, the dependents will need to submit a separate Form I-539 with their I-20. The F-2 Form I-539 should indicate that it is based on the F-1 student's change of status application. Both the student and the dependent Form I-539 should be submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the same package. All dependents may apply to change to F-2 status on the same Form I-539.