Finding Us

IPO Office

phone: (208) 885-8984
fax: (208) 885-2859

Mailing address:
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Physical address:
901 Paradise Creek Street
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Form I-20

To receive a form I-20 and enter the U.S. in F-1 visa status, students must first apply for admission to the University of Idaho. The Form I-20 supports applications for F-1 visas, requests to change to F-1 status and entering the U.S. in F-1 status.

It is the responsibility of every student to ensure that Form I-20 remains accurate and complete. In particular, in section 5 the "complete studies no later than" date should always be in the future while a student at the University of Idaho. If this date will expire before completion of your F-1 studies, you must contact the International Student, Scholar and Faculty Services (ISSFS) to apply for a program extension before the expiration date. Students completing their dissertation during optional practical training employment authorization do not need to obtain a program extension, but are only eligible for on-grounds employment up to the program end date on Form I-20 or after receipt of a valid optional practical training employment authorization card (assuming the on-grounds employment is in their field of study).

Page 3 of Form I-20 must be signed by a designated school official (DSO) in the ISSFS during any semester of foreign travel after initial admission. Students should visit the ISSFS about two weeks before planned foreign travel to obtain the requisite signature. Form I-20 must be presented at the port of entry when a student re-enters the U.S.

Page 3 of Form I-20 also includes practical training employment authorization endorsements. A student may engage in authorized curricular practical training (CPT) employment once in possession of a CPT-endorsed I-20. I-20's endorsed with optional practical training (OPT) must be submitted to USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) for OPT approval. Only after USCIS approval and receipt of a valid employment authorization card (EAD) are students eligible to begin OPT employment.