New Policy Implementation as of January 2012
All classified positions that a unit decides to fill must be reviewed by Employment Services (HR) prior to any advertising or initiation of established procedures for filling vacancies. Employment Services will be responsible for ensuring that any layoff roster which has been developed for that position classification is utilized according to University policy.
Official Policy Guidelines
Policies regarding separation are dependent on the classification of the employee. For policies related to faculty separation, please refer to the Provost's office.
FSH 3920: Dismissal and Discipline of Exempt Employees
FSH 3930: Separation of Classified Employees
FSH 3940: Resignations (applies to employees that are classified, exempt or faculty)
Policy and Interpretive Guidelines for the Elimination or Reduction of Classified Positions and the Separation of Temporary Hourly Help and Exempt Staff (March 2015) (applies to classified and exempt staff only)
Summary of Classified Staff Layoff Process
for Unit Administrator
- Develop a plan for reduction of positions and send to the Provost or appropriate Vice President. Identify any positions to be excluded from the reduction plan.
- Provide termination notice to temporary hourly employees (24 hours’ notice) and Exempt employees (notice to President’s Office by April 02) per the reduction plan.
- Complete the Request to Layoff Classified Staff form for each classified staff position classification to be reduced or eliminated. Send to Human Resources as soon as possible, but at least 4 weeks before date of effective layoff.
- Human Resources will return completed “memos for affected employees” within the classification to be reduced or eliminated for unit administrator to distribute.
- Human Resources will return to unit administrator the Request to Layoff Classified Staff form identifying the employee to be laid off due to position elimination or reduction; a layoff notice for the affected employee will be included. Notice must be delivered at least 2 weeks (14 calendar days) before the effective date of layoff.
- Employee identified for layoff should contact HR for additional information regarding the layoff roster and current position vacancies.