What is Evolve?
Evolve is an ink and electronics recycling program that focuses on the collection of empty ink cartridges, cell phones, mp3 players, and other electronic devices.
Since 2012, the Sustainability Center has managed Evolve recycling on the University of Idaho campus. This is an important program because it diverts several pounds of toxic material and heavy metals from the landfill. After collection, Evolve Recycling reuses or recycles materials they receive. According to Evolve Recycling, in 2015 we saved the equivalent annual greenhouses gas emissions from 61 passenger vehicles! Electronic devices are complex formations of lead, mercury, cadmium, and beryllium. By recycling electronic waste, heavy metals will not enter landfills. Often times, heavy metals can leach into a water supply or the surrounding landscapes.
All ink cartridges can be recycled. 1.3 billion inkjet cartridges are used every year, but less than 30 percent are recycled. If these ink cartridges were stacked end-to-end, they would circle the planet twice. 150 million pounds of cartridges are buried in the landfill. By recycling them, you are saving approximately 1 gallon of oil, 2 pounds of combined metal and plastic. Recycling these saves over 38,000 tons of plastic and metal from landfills.
If a collection box needs to be emptied, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 108-885-0125.
LOCATIONS OF EVOLVE E-WASTE COLLECTION BOXES (Updated 9/23/2016)
- Administration Building (Second floor next to room 214 – Janitor’s closet)
- Information Technology Services (ITS) Help Desk (Second floor)
- Living Learning Center 24-Hour Help Desk (First floor immediately to your left)
- Campus Commons (Near the Information Desk, across from Einstein’s)
- College of Natural Resources (1st floor loading bay near recycling cabinets in motor pool)
- College of Engineering – JEB building (First floor by the vending machine)
- Law School (First floor by room 108)
- Student Recreation Center (First floor by the entrance door)
- Student Union Building (First floor by the Registrar’s Office)
- Shoup Hall (First floor outside UISC)
- Wallace Residence Center mail room (Basement in the student computer room)
- Morrill Hall (First floor in the south entrance)
- Albertson building, School of Business (Third floor in the staff lounge, room 309)
- Ag Sci Building (First floor by vending machines, near room 65)
- Jansen Engineering Building (Basement)