Orientation Leaders assist with the implementation of University of Idaho’s New Student Orientation (NSO) Program.
Applications for fall 2016 orientation leaders are now closed. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
To apply, fill out the online application »
Priority deadline for applications is Feb. 24, 2016. Applications will be accepted until April 1 or until all positions are filled.
After application review, strong candidates will be invited for an interview. Interview attire is recommended. Interviews will take place until positions are filled.
Interviews will be scheduled at various times Feb. 29-March 22.
Offer decisions will be sent out the first week of April.
Interested applicants must:
- Be in sophomore standing or above for spring 2016 with 2.5 cumulative grade point average or higher
- Pass a UI judicial record check with no or minor documented incidents
- Serve as a role model who exemplifies strong academic decision-making and a balanced lifestyle
- Possess a desire to connect with people with a variety of personalities and backgrounds. Introverts and extroverts are welcome to apply
- Possess a positive attitude with the ability and desire to:
- Learn leadership and facilitation skills
- Organize and set up events and demonstrate flexibility
- Help new students adjust to life at UI
- Share student expertise about attending UI
Senior New Student Orientation leaders, in addition to the above qualifications, must:
- Served successfully as an NSO leader at UI at least once.
- Possess a desire to take on additional responsibilities and lead other NSO leaders.
- Leadership experience on the university campus
- Cumulative grade point average of a 3.0 or higher
- Orientation or recruitment experience serving incoming and/or prospective students and families
- With a partner, lead a group of new students through New Student Orientation (NSO)
- Foster a positive transition to campus life for new students by creating an atmosphere in which students can get to know each other and feel comfortable interacting with each other
- Facilitate group activities and discussions throughout NSO events
- Contribute to the organization and implementation of all aspects of NSO
- Greet, welcome and check in new students and their families when they arrive
- Represent UI — including the residence halls, the Greek community and many other campus offices and resources — in a positive and unbiased manner, regardless of personal affiliations
- Familiarize new students with the campus academics, processes, geography and culture
- Serve as a resource and referral point for campus resources and student needs
- Participate in all training sessions and NSO meetings. See important dates below
Senior NSO leaders, in addition to the above duties, must:
- Lead teams of NSO leaders during training and some activities
- Assume additional responsibilities during NSO evening events
- Organize additional administrative processes
- Serve as a role models for new NSO leaders
- As needed, arrive earlier and stay later than other NSO leaders to complete tasks
New Student Orientation (NSO) leaders:
- Develop leadership skills, including group facilitation, organization, problem-solving and team-building.
- Can take advantage of early residence hall check-in as applicable.
- Play a vital role in UI semester startup by orienting new students and their families.
- Orientation leaders are paid $8.00 per hour. Half-day training days are also paid. Position is an estimated 44 hours, including training.
- Returning Orientation Leaders are paid $8.50 per hour. Half-day training days are also paid. Position is an estimated 44 hours, including training.
- Senior orientation leaders are paid $9.00 per hour. Half-day training days are also paid. Position is an estimated 44 hours, including training.
Applications for Fall 2016 New Student Orientation Leaders are now open. Fill out an application.
February 24: Priority application deadline.
February 29-March 22: applicant interviews
First week of April: Offer emails sent via vandal email.
April 5: deadline to accept OL offer
April 8: HR paperwork due
April 24: Required OL training
August 14-17: OL training
August 18-21: Fall 2016 New Student Orientation