Third Party/Sponsored Billing

A third party sponsor is an entity that has agreed to pay all or a specified portion of a student’s tuition/fees, books and other charges at an institution of higher education.

Third party sponsors may include, but are not limited to, federal and state agencies, US military, corporations, clubs, charitable organizations, trade unions, foundations, tribes, and foreign governments.  The U of I requires a sponsor to provide an official document guaranteeing payment (i. e. letter, agreement, contract, purchase order, etc.). Regardless of the format all contracts, letters and purchase orders MUST include the following information in order to be processed:

  • Student’s name
  • Student’s social security number or U of I ID number
  • Specific charges the sponsor is agreeing to pay
  • Name and signature of person authorizing payment
  • Name, telephone number, email address and mailing address of contact person

Authorizations for payment may be mailed, faxed or emailed to the Student Accounts office at:

            Attn: Student Accounts – Sponsored Billing
            University of Idaho
            875 Perimeter Dr  MS 4250
            Moscow, ID 83844-4250

            Phone: 208-885-2132
            Fax: 208-885-9209

It is the responsibility of the student to notify Student Accounts of a third party sponsor. Every effort will be made to work with the sponsor in obtaining payment. If the sponsor fails to pay all amounts as agreed, the student will be held responsible to pay any amount not paid by the sponsor.

Third party sponsor transfers will post within three weeks of the date charges post for a new term. Invoices are not normally sent to the sponsor until after the final drop/add date.

Prior balances and other amounts not paid by the sponsor must be paid in full by the first day of the semester.

Please see more specific information for International Sponsors, GoArmyEd, 529 Plans, Athletic Scholarships and Graduate Assistants.