• Cougar Dave
  • Pdf of snapshots of history

Cougar Dave

During the 1920's and '30's, David Lewis guided hunts for some of the most influential men in Idaho and across the country.

View the poster

"'Cougar' Dave Lewis: An Idaho Frontiersman" by Jim Akenson and Amie-June Brumble.

Contact Us

Cascade

Taylor Wilderness Research Station
tayranch@uidaho.edu

HC 83 Box 8070
Cascade, ID 83611
Cougar Dave Lewis's homestead

Taylor History

1911: "Cougar" Dave Lewis begins residence on Pioneer Creek. Lewis Cabin built sometime between 1911-1921.
1921: Dave Lewis files homestead claim for 65 acres of what is now TWRS.
1935: "Lewis Place" purchased by Jess Taylor, becomes "Taylor Ranch."
1951: Taylor Cabin built.
1952: Duplex (now Hornocker Cabin) built
1964: University of Idaho Ph.D student Maurice Hornocker first comes to Taylor Ranch.
1965: Maurice Hornocker begins landmark cougar research on Big Creek, using Taylor Ranch as a base camp.
1970: Taylor Ranch sold to the University of Idaho
1980: Idaho Primitive Area becomes Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness
1983: Borah Peak earthquake strikes central Idaho, causing significant rockslides and trail damage at Taylor Ranch.
1990: Lanham Cabin disassembled at Cabin Creek, moved by mule team, airlifted by National Guard helicopters, and reassembled at Taylor Ranch as "Lanham Lab."
1997: Microhydroelectric system brings electricity to Taylor for the first time.
2000: Catastrophic Diamond Point wildfire burns through Big Creek drainage, forcing Taylor Ranch evacuation and burning the Taylor cookhouse and bunkhouse.
2004: DeVlieg Cabin built.
2006: Dunce Creek fire burns upstream to Taylor, students temporarily evacuated, but no damage done to property.
2008: Lewis Cabin restoration.
2008: Cabin Creek fire burns 5 miles upstream of Taylor.

"Cougar Dave" Lewis, who originally homesteaded the TWRS area in 1921.

Dr. Maurice Hornocker (R) and houndsman Wilbur Wiles (L), during Hornocker's landmark cougar research on Big Creek in the 1960's.