Cathy A. Roheim
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology
Department Head, Professor
Ph.D., Agricultural Economics, University of California, Davis, 1990
M.S., Applied Economics, Montana State University, Bozeman, 1984
B.S., Economic Science, Montana State University, Bozeman, 1982
Conducts research on the general theme of seafood marketing and international trade in seafood products. Most recently a focus has been on the effect of the sustainable seafood movement on domestic and international markets, trade and management policies related to capture fisheries and aquaculture. This includes analysis of consumer demand for ecolabeled seafood, the importance of traceability, particularly as it relates to illegal fishing, and the role of corporate social responsibility as an economic motivation of the supply chain in sourcing sustainable seafood. Additional areas of research include the role of information and labeling in differentiation of seafood products for such issues as safety, organic, farmed versus wild production, and geographical designation.
- Asche, F., C. Roheim, and M. Smith. 2013. “Markets, Trade and Seafood,” In: Encyclopedia of Natural Resources. Y.Q. Wang (ed.). Taylor & Francis Group, New York, NY, forthcoming.
- Roheim, C.A., P. Sudhakaran, and C. A. Durham. 2012. “Certification of Shrimp and Salmon for Best Aquaculture Practices: Assessing Consumer Preferences,” Aquaculture Economics and Management, 16:3, 266-286.
- Durham, C.A., C.A. Roheim and I. Pardoe. 2012. “Picking Apples: Can Multi-Attribute Eco-labels Compete?” Journal of Agriculture and Food Industrial Organization, Vol. 10, Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 1542-0485, DOI: 10.1515/1542-0485.1372, Oct.
- Roheim, C., F. Asche, and J. Santos, 2011. “The Elusive Price Premium for Ecolabeled Products: Evidence from Seafood in the U.K. Retail Sector.” Journal of Agricultural Economics, 62:655-668. doi: 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2011.00299.x.
- Smith, M.D., C. A. Roheim, L. B. Crowder, B. S. Halpern, M. Turnipseed, J. L. Anderson, F. Asche, L. Bourillón, A. G. Guttormsen, A. Khan, L. A. Liguori, A. McNevin, M.O’Connor, D. Squires, P. Tyedmers, C. Brownstein, K.Carden, D. H. Klinger, R. Sagarin, K.A. Selkoe, 2010. “Sustainability and Global Seafood.” Science, 327:784-86.
- Roheim, C., 2009. “An Evaluation of Sustainable Seafood Guides: Implications for Environmental Groups and the Seafood Industry.” Marine Resource Economics, 24(3):301-310.
- Johnston, R.J., C. Roheim, D. Joglekar, and R. Pomeroy, 2008. “Estimating Preferences for Non-Market Attributes of Aquaculture and Sustainable Seafood Production: Methods and Empirical Applications.” International Journal of Environment and Pollution, 33(4):469-484.
- Roheim, C. 2008. “The Economics of Ecolabelling,” In: Seafood Ecolabelling: Principles and Practice. T. Ward and B. Phillips (eds.). Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK.
- Roheim, C., L. Gardiner, and F. Asche, 2007. “Value of Brands and Other Attributes: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Frozen Fish in the UK.” Marine Resource Economics, 22(3):239-53.
- Johnston, R.J. and C. Roheim, 2006. “A Battle of Taste and Environmental Convictions for Ecolabeled Seafood: A Contingent Ranking Experiment.” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 31(2): 283-300.
- Asche, F., H. Bremnes and C. Roheim Wessells. 1999. “Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 81(3):568-581.
- Eales, J. and C. Roheim Wessells. 1999. “Testing Separability of Japanese Demand for Meat and Fish within a Generalized Demand System,” Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 24:114-126.
- Heien, D. and C. Roheim Wessells. 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 8:365-371.
- Heien, D. and C. Roheim Wessells. 1988. "The Demand for Dairy Products: Structure, Prediction and Decomposition," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 70:219-228.
- Teacher of the Year, College of the Environment and Life Sciences, University of Rhode Island, 1998
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Needs Ph.D. Fellowship recipient, Class I, 1985-1988
- President, International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade (IIFET), 2006-2008; President-Elect, 2004-2006; Executive Council, 1998 - 2002
- Editor, Marine Resource Economics, 1995-98
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 2006 – 09; Editorial Councils (Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 2004-07; Review of Agricultural Economics, 1999-2001, 2004-07; Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, 1994-96); Advisory Board, Choices, 1999 - 2001
- Member, National Geographic Society Ocean Restoration Advisory Council, 2010-13
- Member, WorldFish Center Science Advisory Committee, Malaysia, 2010-13
- Member, Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program, Senior Advisory Board, 2012-14
- Member, Marine Stewardship Council, Board of Trustees, 2006-07; Stakeholder Advisory Council, 1999-2007, (Co-chair, 2006-07)
- Member, National Advisory Committee to the U.S. Representative (The Honorable Carol Browner) for the North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation under NAFTA, 1997 - 2000