The University of Idaho Swim Center swim lessons are dedicated to teaching American Red Cross swimming skills and water safety. Our program is designed to incorporate every level of swimmer, from infant to pre-competitive. Our classes are designed to teach valuable skills that work on body position, timing, fluidity, and comfort in the water. The swim lessons are managed and taught by University of Idaho Students. A parent or guardian MUST be in the facility during lessons.
- $60 for 8 half-hour lessons
- Offered during the Fall and Spring Semesters and Summer break
- Meet twice a week for 4 weeks
- Classes meet on either Monday and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Each class period is 30 minutes long beginning at either 5:45 or 6:20 p.m.
- The ratio of instructors to students never exceeds 1:6
- Friday is a make up day. For UI Holidays and various other reasons classes will not be able to meet on a regularly scheduled day and we will use Fridays for make up days.
- Register and pay by credit card This link is the Active.com web page that will automatically look for open programs in the surrounding area. This address will not directly link to the swim center's program but is the right page to search for the correct program. Use the "where" tab and narrow the search to "within 25 miles" only the University of Idaho swim center will show up.
- The new registration website requires that you make an Active.com account before being able to see or register for any Swim Center events. Once you have an account created, logging in to sign up for new events should be fairly automatic.
- If you have questions or need to arrange another payment option email swim lesson coordinator or phone (208) 885-7518
- Private lessons are available at a rate of $18/30 minutes and arranged on an individual basis, depending on time and instructor availability.
- Contact swim lesson coordinator to schedule your private lesson: email or call (208) 885-7518.
- Due to construction on the Education Building parking at the swim center is limited. For more information please visit the Parking web site.
- Parking in Gold lot 39 behind the swim center is permitted after 5 p.m. except in specifically marked spaces in the center island. Additional parking in lot 24 behind the Law building is also available after 5 p.m. If you are parking prior to 5 p.m., or if space is limited in these areas, please use the metered Pay-to-Park spaces along Rayburn Street. See the campus parking map at http://www.uidaho.edu/parking/maps .
Preparing Your Children for Lessons
- Long hair must be tied back! It is a safety hazard.
- Swim diapers must be used for children who are not potty trained. If a child is wearing a regular diaper, we will have to ask them to leave the pool as the diaper could damage our filter system.
- Goggles are optional, but not recommended for beginners. The student will generally know when they need goggles.
- Please be sure that your swimmer is dressed in appropriate swim wear! Any type of swimsuit is fine, but clothing and swimwear with floatation built in are discouraged.
- There are locker rooms in the Memorial Gym and in the Swim Center. Children 6 years of age and older must use the locker room appropriate to their gender.