Student Life Task Force
The mission of the Student Affairs division is to contribute to the university’s academic mission by engaging students in an inclusive community that provides intentional learning experiences designed to cultivate self-awareness, wellness, practice care and respect for others, and build the foundation for successful life and career.
It is under this mission and specific strategic goal of student engagement and development that the Student Life Task Force (SLTF) was launched.
What We Do
The Student Life Task Force began its work in mid-September with the charge to:
- Examine how UI currently supports first-year students and their overall transition to the university with a special focus on their residential experience.
- Identify potential improvements in Housing & Residence Life.
- Explore the impact of how we recruit first-year students to join the Greek system and housing them in Greek chapter houses.
- Examine how Greek Life contributes to the residence experience and whether it can be strengthened by any changes in practice.
- Advise President Staben of the Task Force findings and recommendations for possible adoption.
SLTF was formed in September 2015 with the goal of completing these objectives spring 2016.
Erin Agidius '01, '11, Interim Director of HRAI, Kappa Alpha Theta Alumna |Email
Dan Alsaker '72, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Alumnus | Email
Blaine Eckles '11, Dean of Students | Email
Frances Ellsworth '83, Gamma Phi Beta Alumna | Email
Sandy Fery '81, Delta Delta Delta Alumna | Email
Marilyn Fordham '57, Delta Gamma Alumna | Email
Dee Dee Kanikkeberg, Director of Housing & Residence Life | Email
Jean Kim, Chair, Vice Provost for Student Affairs | Email
Troy LaVigne '17, IFC President, Delta Tau Delta | Email
McKenzie MacDonald '19, ASUI Senator | Email
Kent Nelson '80, '84, General Counsel, Sigma Chi Alumnus| Email
David Pfeiffer, Director of Office of Undergraduate Research; Prof. of Biological Sciences | Email
Dick Reilly '81, Phi Delta Theta Alumnus | Email
Laird Stone '75, '78, Alpha Kappa Lambda Alumnus | Email
Robin Shoemaker '03, Support Staff | Email
- Require Greek leader training
- Consider live-in house directors
- Require Greek leader training
- Study two-year, on-campus living requirement
- Make all living option costs transparent
- Provide reduced meal plans
- Explore revising living group/housing business practices
- Follow the progress and inform alumni of the implementation of the Intentional Interaction Model in the Residence Halls
- First-Year Student Experience Online Survey (PDF)
- Retention by Residency (Excel)
- First-Year Experience Student Housing Survey Report (PDF)
- First-Year Experience Survey, Open Comments (PDF)
- Focus Group Interview Questions (PDF)
- Focus Group Notes by Question (1/28/16) (PDF)
- Focus Group Notes by Individual
- Educational and Retention Benefits of Residence Hall Living (PDF)
- Fraternities and Sororities: Understanding Life Outcomes (5/27/14) (PDF)
- Lifelong Impact of Fraternities & Sororities Infographic (PDF)
- NASPA Journal The Influence of Fraternity and Sorority Involvement (PDF)
- Using NSSE Data to Describe Fraternity and Sorority Data (PDF)
- Comments About Alcohol Free Residences
- Greek Alumni Newsletter (8/10/15)
- Email update on Student Life Task Force (11/25/15)
- McClure Center's Idaho at a Glance - Life After High School (PDF)
- UI President Staben Response to Alumni Concerns (PDF)
- UI President Staben Accepts First Recommendation (PDF)
- Email update on Student Life Task Force: Housing Options Recommendation (1/22/2016)