Elizabeth Cassel, Ph.D.
University of Idaho
Campus Locations: Moscow
Assistant Professor - Tectonics & Sedimentology
Orogenesis and the interactions of tectonics, climate, and erosion
Stable isotope geochemistry
Sedimentology and stratigraphy
Geo- and thermochronology
Earth surface processes
- Jackson Postdoctoral Fellow, 2011-2013—University of Texas at Austin
- PhD, Geological and Environmental Sciences, 2010—Stanford University
- BA, Geology, 2003—Carleton College
- Cassel, E.J., Breecker, D.O., Henry, C.D., Larson, T.E. and Stockli, D.F., 2014, Profile of a paleo-orogen:
High topography across the present-day Basin and Range from 40 to 23 Ma: Geology, v. 42, (in press).
- Cassel, E.J., Grove, M., and Graham, S.A., 2012, Eocene drainage evolution and erosion of the
Sierra Nevada batholith across northern California and Nevada, American Journal of
Science, v. 312, no. 2, p. 117-144.
- Cassel, E.J., Graham, S.A., Chamberlain, C.P., and Henry, C.H., 2012, Early Cenozoic Topography,
Morphology, and Tectonics of the Northern Sierra Nevada and Western Basin and Range,
Geosphere, April 2012, v. 8, no. 2, p. 229-249.
- Cassel, E.J., and Graham, S.A., 2011, Paleovalley morphology and fluvial system evolution of
Eocene-Oligocene sediments ('auriferous gravels'), northern Sierra Nevada, California: Cassel, E.J. – C.V., p. 5
Implications for climate, tectonics, and topography, Geological Society of America Bulletin,
v. 123, no. 9/10, p. 1699-1719.
- Cassel, E.J., Graham, S.A., and Chamberlain, P.C., 2009, Cenozoic tectonic and topographic
evolution of the northern Sierra Nevada, California, through stable isotope paleoaltimetry in
volcanic glass: Geology, v. 37, no. 6, p. 547-550.
- Cassel, E.J., Calvert, A.T., and Graham, S.A., 2009, Age, geochemical composition, and distribution
of Oligocene ignimbrites in the northern Sierra Nevada, California: implications for
landscape morphology, elevation, and drainage divide geography of the Nevadaplano:
International Geology Review, v. 51, no. 7, p. 723-742.
- Smith, M.E., Carroll, A.R., Jicha, B.J., Cassel, E.J., and Scott, J.J., 2014, Paleogeographic record of
Eocene Farallon slab rollback beneath western North America: Geology, v. 42, (in press).
- Tectonic and topographic evolution of the Cordilleran hinterland: implications for the timing and magnitude of Basin and Range extension
- Drivers for basin formation and lacustrine evolution through the Eocene-Oligocene sedimentary and volcanic record in eastern Nevada
- History of Cenozoic uplift and forearc basin evolution in the southern Peruvian Andes
- Late Eocene flora and depositional systems in eastern Oregon
- Hydration processes and stable isotope systematics in felsic volcanic glass
- Paleotopography, drainage system evolution, and exhumation history of the western Cordillera: Idaho, Nevada, Utah, & B.C.