Research: climate, meteorology, climate change, wildfire, hydrology, ecosystem dynamics
- Ph.D., 2006, Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine
- B.S., 2000, Atmospheric Science, University of California, Davis
John's research interests span the weather-climate continuum and both basic and applied scientific questions. He conducts climate related research specific to the American West and is engaged in several aspects of applied climatology and meteorology specific to wildfiire, agriculture and hydrology. John's research portfolio includes better understanding climate variability and change and associated impacts across the western United States.
Selected Recent Publications
- Klos, P.Z., T.E. Link and J.T. Abatzoglou, 2014, Extent of the rain-snow transition zone in the western U.S. under historic and projected climate, Geophysical Research Letters, 41,doi:10.1002/2014GL060500.
- Abatzoglou, J.T., D.E. Rupp and P.W. Mote, 2014, Understanding seasonal climate variability and change in the Pacific Northwest of the United States, Journal of Climate, 27, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-13-00218.1
- Peterson, A.G. and J. T. Abatzoglou , 2014, Observed Changes in False Springs over the Contiguous United States, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, 21562162, doi:10.1002/2014GL059266.
- Lute, A.C. and J.T. Abatzoglou, 2014, Role of extreme snowfall events in interannual variability of snowfall accumulation in the western United States, Water Resources Research,50, doi:10.1002/2013WR014465.
- Luce, C.H., J.T. Abatzoglou, Z.A. Holden, 2013. The Missing Mountain Water: Slower Westerlies Decrease Orographic Enhancement in the Pacific Northwest USA. Science, 342(6164):1360-1364
- Abatzoglou J.T., Kolden C.A., 2013, Relationships between climate and macroscale area burned in the western United States. International Journal of Wildland Fire , doi:10.1071/WF13019
- Abatzoglou, J.T., R. Barbero, and N.J. Nauslar, 2013: Diagnosing Santa Ana winds in Southern California with synoptic-scale analysis. Wea. Forecasting. doi:10.1175/WAF-D-13-00002.1
- Anderegg, L.D.L., W.R.L. Anderegg, J.T. Abatzoglou, A. Hausladen, and J.A. Berry, 2013,
Drought seasonality explains patterns in widespread aspen forest mortality across the western
United States. Global Change Biology. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.12146/
- Dobrowski, S.Z., J.T. Abatzoglou, A.K. Swanson, J.A. Greenberg, A.R. Mynsberge, Z.A.
Holden, M.K. Schwartz, 2013, The climate velocity of the contiguous United States during the
20th century. Global Change Biology. dpi:10.1111/gcb.12026
- Abatzoglou, J.T., 2013, Development of gridded surface meteorological data for ecological applications and modeling, International Journal of Climatology, doi: 10.1002/joc.3413
- Abatzoglou, J.T. and C.A. Kolden. 2011, Climate change in western US deserts: potential for increased wildfire and invasive annual grasses, Rangeland Ecology and Management, doi:10.2111/REM-D-09-00151.1
- Abatzoglou, J.T., and T.J. Brown. 2012, A Comparison of Statistical Downscaling Methods Suited for Wildfire Applications, International Journal of Climatology, doi:10.1002/joc.2312
- Abatzoglou, J.T, 2011, Inﬂuence of the PNA on Declining Mountain Snowpack in the Western United States, International Journal of Climatology, doi:10.1002/joc.2137
- Crimmins, S.M, S.Z. Dobrowski, J.A. Greenberg, J.T. Abatzoglou, and A.R. Mynsberge, 2011. Changes in climatic water balance drive downhill shifts in plant species optimum elevations. Science 331: 324-327
- University of Idaho College of Science Early Career Faculty Award (2012)