Felix Liao, Ph.D.
Campus Locations: Moscow, Idaho
Ph.D. The University of Utah, Geography, 2014
M.Phil. The University of Hong Kong, Geography, 2008
B.S. Sun Yat-sen University (China), Economic Geography & Planning, 2002
Globalization and Transnational Corporations (TNCs)
Urban Growth and Sustainability
Land Use and Transportation Systems
GIS Spatial Analysis
Dr. Haifeng (Felix) Liao is a broadly trained human geographer and a spatial social scientist whose research interests include regional development, globalization and transnational corporations, urban growth and sustainability, land use and transportation systems, GIS spatial analysis, and China. His ongoing research program investigates the interrelationship between urban and regional development and sustainability in the context of climate change and economic globalization, and the linkages between land use and transportation systems.
Refereed Journal Articles
- 2014 Liao, F.H.F., Farber, S. and Ewing, R. Compact development and preference heterogeneity in residential location choice behaviour: A latent class analysis. Urban Studies (in press).
- 2014 Liao, F.H.F. and Wei, Y.H.D. Modeling determinants of urban growth in Dongguan, China: A spatial logistic approach. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 28, 801-816.
- 2013 Liao, F.H.F. and Wei, Y.H.D. TNCs’ technology linkages with domestic firms: An investigation of the ICT Industry in Suzhou, China. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 33(1), 460-474.
- 2013 Wei, Y.H.D. and Liao, F.H.F. The embeddedness of TNCs in Chinese cities: Strategic coupling in global production networks? Habitat International, 40, 82-90.
- 2013 Wei, Y.H.D., Yuan, F., and Liao, F.H.F. Spatial mismatch and determinants of foreign and domestic information and communication technology firms in urban China. The Professional Geographer, 65(2), 247-264.
- 2012 Liao, F.H.F. and Wei, Y.H.D. Dynamics, space, and regional inequality in provincial China: A case study of Guangdong Province. Applied Geography, 35(1–2), 71-83.
- 2011 Liao, F.H.F. and Chan, R.C.K. Industrial relocation of Hong Kong manufacturing firms: Towards an expanding industrial space beyond the Pearl River Delta. GeoJournal, 76 (6), 623-639.
- 2010 Yang C. and Liao, F.H.F. Backward linkages of cross-border production networks of Taiwanese PC investment in the Pearl River Delta, China. Tijdschriftvoor Economische en Sociale Geografie (TESG, Journal of Social and Economic Geography), 101(2), 199-217.
- 2010 Yang, C. and Liao, F.H.F. Industrial agglomeration of Hong Kong and Taiwanese manufacturing investment in China: A town level analysis in Dongguan. The Annals of Regional Science, 45(3), 487-517.
- 2013 Wei, Y.H.D., Zhang, L., Liao, F.H.F., and Chen, J.L. Urban land use expansion and spatial restructuring in the Yangtze River Delta, China. In J. Man, R. Tao and Y.H. Hong (Eds.), Land Policy and Economic Development, Cambridge: Lincoln Institute of Land Policy.
- 2013 Liao, F.H.F., Xu, Z.H. and Liang, B. Industrial cluster of Taiwanese electronics firms in Dongguan, China: Home effects and implications for industrial upgrading. In S. Eriksson (Ed.), Clusters and Economic Growth in Asia, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- 2008 Yang, C. and Liao, F.H.F. Urban and regional development of the Pan-Pearl River Delta. In Y.M. Yeung and J. F. Shen (Eds.), The Pan-Pearl River Delta: An Emerging Regional Economy in Globalizing China, Hong Kong: The Chinese University of Hong Kong Press.
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings
- 2014 Liao, F.H.F., Farber, S. and Ewing, R. Compact development and preference heterogeneity in residential location choice behavior: A latent class analysis. 2014 Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting, January 12-16, Washington, DC.
- 2012 Liao, F.H.F. and Wei, Y.H.D. Spatial determinants of urban growth in Dongguan, China. GIScience 2012, Extended Abstracts Volume, September 18-21, Columbus, Ohio.
Complete the streets 3 ways: effects on activity and BMI, funded by the National Institutes of Health, 2012–2013 (Research Assistant)
A spatial-temporal analysis of intra-provincial inequality in China, funded by Natural Science Foundation of China, 2011–2012 (Research Assistant).
Urban land expansion and spatial restructuring in the Yangtze River Delta, China, funded by Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, 2011–2012 (Research Assistant).
Remaking development models in China: Globalization, the state, and regional development, funded by Ford Foundation, 2009-2011 (Research Assistant).
A comparative study of ICT industry development in the Beijing, Shanghai-Suzhou, and Shenzhen-Dongguan city regions in China, funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), 2009 (Research Assistant).
- Regional Economic Analysis
- GIS Spatial Analysis
- Land Use and Transportation Planning and Policy
- Chinese Government Scholarship for Outstanding Self-financed Students Studying Abroad. 2014
- Travel Award, China Geography Specialty Group (CGSG), AAG. 2013
- Outstanding Student Research Award, Department of Geography, University of Utah. 2013
- Ashok K. Dutt Best Graduate Student Paper Award, Regional Development and Planning Specialty Group (RDPSG), AAG. 2012
- Travel Award, US Foreign Policy Colloquium, National Committee for US-China Relations. 2012
- Third Place Prize, College of Social and Behavioral Science (CSBS) Graduate Student Research Day Paper Competition, University of Utah. 2011