Equipment Description and Scheduling
Scheduling Equipment Use
Instructions for adding and scheduling equipment in the core are here. The outlook resource calendar name of each item is found by its photo or description.If you need assistance with scheduling, please contact Kristi Accola.
Confocal and Multiphoton Microscopy
The Olympus Fluoview upright microscope platform provides laser scanning confocal imaging of cells and tissues. The high energy of laser excitation, broad excitation options with multiple laser lines, variable scanning speeds and the pinhole aperture that reduces out of focus fluorescence, aid in producing extremely high resolution images.
The Olympus Fluoview also has a Coherent Ultra 2 multiphoton tunable laser ranging from 690-1040nm. The longer wavelengths of the multiphoton laser allow for deeper penetration, reduced damage to live tissue, reduced light scattering and second harmonic imaging.
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-OIC-Olympus-LSCM
Nikon Spinning Disk Confocal Microscope
The spinning disk system includes a stage-top environmental control chamber on an inverted microscope for long time-lapse imaging. Dynamic imaging can be automated in 3 dimensions (X, Y, Z) over time (5) at multiple locations on the slide or culture dish using multiple fluorescent labels and DIC. Two cameras and 6 laser excitation options provide choices in resolution, speed of acquisition and fluorescent probes. A third monochrome camera is attached to the widefield pathway for epifluorescent and DIC imaging.
The Nikon TiE inverted microscope with a Yokogawa X1 Spinning Disk and perfect focus system is ideal for high speed live imaging. The Andor DU888U3 EMCCD and Zyla sCMOS cameras provide options for high sensitivity and speed to capture events on a true biological time scale. A Galvo miniscanner photoactivation system is available using UV activation in FRAP and optogenetic studies.
- Dry objective lens options @ 4X, 10X, 20X and 40X Extra Long Working Distance
- Water immersion objective lens options @ 40X and 60X
- Oil immersion objective lens options @ 40X, 60X and 100X
- Widefield LED excitation for DAPI, CFP, GFP, YFP, mCherry, Cy5
- DAPI Filter set:X383-407; 425DM; M435-485
- CFP Filter set: X425-445; 455DM; M465-495
- GFP Filter set: X465-495; 505DM; M515-555
- YFP Filter set: X485-505; 515DM; M525-555
- RFP Filter set: X540-580; 600DM; M605-665
- Cy5 Filter set: X595-645; 655DM; 662-737
- Laser excitation options for the confocal:405, 440, 488, 515, 561 and 640nm
- Final emission filters for the lasers are:
- DAPI: 430-480nm
- CFP: 460-480nm
- GFP: 507-543nm
- YFP: 520-550
- RFP: 570-640
- Cy5: 662-737
- Final emission filters for the lasers are:
- Andor Zyla sCMOS camera:up to 100 frames/second, 5.5 mpixel sensor, 6.5um pixel size, 16,000:1 dynamic range @ 30fps
- Andor DU888 EMCCD camera:high quantum efficiency, low read noise, 13um pixel size, 26 fps, 8500:1 dynamic range @ 30fps
- OKO stage-top incubator with temperature set point up to 50C, humidity and CO2 control
- Photoactivation device @ 405nm for optical highlighters & optogenetics studies
- NIS-Elements acquisition software for 6 dimensions, well plate scanning, ratio/fret module and image stitching
- Perfect Focus System for maintaining focus during long imaging sessions
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-OIC-Nikon-SDFM
Epifluorescent and Transmitted Light Microscopy
The Nikon Spinning disk inverted microscope system has a separate pathway with a monochrome camera for epifluorescent and DIC imaging. A Leica upright Laborlux microscope with a color digital camera is available for true color imaging of traditional histological samples.
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-OIC-leica-histo
Data Analysis Software
Multidimensional image analysis is available using Nikon’s NIS Elements AR, Imaris F1 and Fiji (Image J) analysis software. The NIS Elements AR package also includes deconvolution, image stitching, ratio/fret and JOBS environment for simplification of routine analysis. Imaris F1 includes a filament tracer module for automated analysis of tree-like volumetric results.
Flow cytometry data can be analyzed using FlowJo and Kaluza analysis of fcs files.
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-OIC-Elements-AC
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-OIC-FlowJo-AC
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-OIC-Kaluza-AC
The Beckman Coulter CytoFLEX S flow cytometer has 4 lasers and characterizes samples for side scatter, forward scatter and multiple fluorescent markers. The CytoFLEX accepts samples from multiple tube sizes and 96-well plates.
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-oic-cytoflex-sfc
Fluorescent Stereo Microscopy
The Leica MZ16F Stereo Fluorescence microscope with DAPI, GFP and DsRed filter sets provides color imaging of surface structure of larger samples, such as nematodes, seeds and flowering plants.
Outlook Calendar Name for Direct Scheduling: rs-oic-leica-shm