Mary Oswald, Ph.D.
College of Science
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 2014
- Oswald, M., M. Singer, and B.D. Robison. 2013. The quantitative genetic architecture of the bold-shy continuum in zebrafish, Danio rerio. PLOS One. This is a chapter in my dissertation.
- Oswald, M., R.E. Drew, M. Racine, and B.D. Robison. 2012. Is behavioral variation along the bold-shy continuum associated with variation in the stress axis in zebrafish? Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 85: 718-728. This is a result of my NSF DDIG, and a chapter in my dissertation.
- Robison, B. D., Benner, M. J., Singer, M. L., and M. Oswald. 2012. A High Throughput and Inexpensive Assay for Anxiety Related Behaviors in the Zebrafish, Based on Place Preference and Latency to Feed. A. V. Kalueff and A. M. Stewart (Eds.), Zebrafish Protocols for Neurobehavioral Research (1st ed.). Humana Press.
- Oswald, M. and B.D. Robison. 2008. Strain specific alteration of zebrafish feeding behavior in response to aversive stimuli. Canadian Journal of Zoology 86: 1085-1094. This is a chapter in my dissertation.
- May 2013- Present. Palouse-Clearwater Search & Rescue (PCSAR). Training Officer.
- Sept. 2012-April 2013. Albany County Sheriff’s Search & Rescue. General member.
- April 2007-May 2010. Seminar Committee. Graduate student representative for the University of Idaho Dept. of Biological Sciences seminar committee.
- March 2008. College of Graduate Studies Committee. Graduate student representative for the College of Graduate Studies’ committee for selecting recipients for graduate student teaching and mentoring awards.
- Sept. 2007-March 2008. Search Committee – Dean, College of Science. Graduate student representative for the University of Idaho’s College of Science Dean search committee.
- March 2006-Aug. 2008. Student Grant Program. Co-founded the University of Idaho Student Grant Program. This competitive award program is the only campus-wide program providing research and travel funding for students regardless of discipline or degree. Vice-Chair of the SGP Committee fall 2006-spring 2007, Chair of the SGP Committee summer 2007-Aug. 2008.
- Jan. 2005-May 2006. Graduate & Professional Student Association (GPSA). Senator for the Dept. of Biological Sciences to the University of Idaho GPSA. Also served as the Senate Speaker for the summer and fall of 2005.
- Oct. 2004-Dec. 2010. Palouse-Clearwater Search & Rescue (PCSAR). General member starting in fall 2004, President of PCSAR from spring 2005-spring 2007. Training Officer March 2008-March 2009.
- April 2001-April 2003. Tri-Beta Biological Honor Society. Secretary of Western State College’s Tri-Beta chapter. Assisted in organizing the 2002 regional convention.
- Aug. 1999-July 2004. Western State Mountain Rescue Team. Support level member and Secretary from the fall of 2000 to the spring of 2004.
- May 2010. Diane A. Haynes Memorial Award. Presented annually to the outstanding graduate student in the University of Idaho College of Science.
- Aug. 2008 & 2009. Doctoral Research Fellowship. University of Idaho College of Graduate Studies. $25,000 for each of two years. This is a competitive and prestigious fellowship awarded to graduate students performing outstanding research and service to the university.
- July 2008. Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. National Science Foundation, NSF IOS-0808551. $6,831. Behavioral adaptation to captivity in the zebrafish, Danio rerio.
- Sept. 2007. Travel Award, University of Idaho Graduate & Professional Student Association. $400.
- July 2007. Dissemination Award, University of Idaho Student Grant Program. $575.
- Nov. 2006. Alumni Award for Excellence. University of Idaho. This is a competitive award, presented to students who have achieved outstanding academic success and have demonstrated career and professional preparation; campus and community leadership and involvement, or “leaders in the classroom, laboratory, campus and community.”
- May 2005. Travel Award, University of Idaho Graduate & Professional Student Association. $400.
- 2003. Outstanding Biology Senior. Western State College.
- 2002, 2003. John C. Johnson Award. Poster Session, Tri-Beta Regional Conference.
- 2002. John C. and Vera A. Johnson Memorial Scholarship. Competitive scholarship for tuition for summer courses at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory, Gothic, CO.
- 2000, 2001, 2002. Thornton Research Scholarship. Stipend and supplies for undergraduate research at Western State College.