Evacuation of persons with disabilities:
Persons with disabilities, including those with mobility, hearing, or visual impairments, may need assistance during an evacuation. Units and instructors need to be aware of employees and students who may have disabilities and ensure they receive assistance during evacuation, if needed. Elevators are not to be used during an evacuation.
- Hearing impairments:
- Gain the person's attention by gesturing or turning the lights on and off.
- If needed, write a note indicating an evacuation is necessary and provide directions.
- Visual impairments:
- Announce that an evacuation is necessary.
- Offer your arm for guidance.
- Tell the person where you are going and obstacles you encounter.
- When you reach the evacuation point, ask if further help is needed.