Program Planning and Review
The University of Idaho must complete a program proposal to create, modify or discontinue undergraduate and graduate program majors and/or degrees. A proposal is also required for an academic certificate that requires 30 credits or more for completion.
A short form (program component or non-substantive minor request) is required for creating, modifying or discontinuing a program component. Program components consist of options, emphases, minors and teaching endorsements. A short form is also used for an academic certificate that requires less than 30 credits for completion. Certain types of changes to undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as program components, may be completed using the short form.
- Short Form (Word)
- New Undergraduate and Graduate Program Proposal (Word)
- Discontinuing Program Proposal (Word)
- New Administrative and Instructional Unit Proposal (Word)
- Budget Template (Excel)
The University Curriculum Committee categorizes actions (into Groups A, B, C) by required approval. The Curricular Approval Workflow (PDF) outlines the approval process with deadlines for an academic program, a program component, an academic certificate and non-substantive minor changes. After University Curriculum Committee processing, check the Faculty Senate for status of an action.
- October 15 for Group C
- December 15 for Group A & B
Policies (Faculty-Staff Handbook)
- FSH Chapter 4: General Academic Policies
- FSH 4110: New or Expanded Academic Programs
- FSH 4120: Catalog Change Procedures
- FSH 1540 C: Circulation of Curricular and Policy Proposals
The Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President is responsible for obtaining appropriate approval and/or providing notification for actions to the Idaho State Board of Education, the Idaho State Department of Education and the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. While the decision to make academic changes is an institutional prerogative and responsibility, the University of Idaho must take appropriate action to comply with reporting policy and maintain accreditation.
Idaho State Board of Education
- SBOE Home page
- Policies and Procedures, Section III, Post Secondary Affairs
- Policy III., G., Program Approval and Discontinuance
- Policy III., H., Program Review
- Policy III., L., Continuing Education/Off-Campus Instruction
- Policy III., Z., Planning and Delivery of Postsecondary Programs and Courses
- Five-Year Plans
- Program Approval overview and forms