The University of Idaho has exceptional learning opportunities, world-class facilities, and is the only University in Idaho with a statewide presence. Not only are there learning spaces in Coeur d’Alene, Moscow, Boise, and Idaho Falls, the University provides education through county offices of University of Idaho Extension across the state.
The land-grant distinction comes with some special responsibilities.
Imagine you discover a strange beetle that has infested your yard or home – our extension experts are there to help you identify it and recommend the appropriate treatment to keep the beetle from overtaking your entire community.
On a macro scale, suppose our state representatives want to increase the number of biotech jobs in the Treasure Valley by leveraging federal grants — the University’s unique research mission identifies the federal programs and develops the technologies to make it happen.
Whether the issue is big or small, the University of Idaho has the statewide reach to ensure a promising future for Idaho.
- Home of the brightest students: we have more national merit scholars than any public University in the Northwest.
- Industry-leading programs: We have the first doctoral degree in athletic training in the country.
- Exemplary service: Approximately 3,800 students volunteer more than 150,000 hours to community and service-learning annually.
- A researcher leader: We lead a team that received a $20 million federal grant to study climate change in the Pacific Northwest.
- Futuristic fields of study: We lead a network of nine Idaho colleges and universities in the largest bio-medical research project in Idaho’s history.
- Technology commercialization: Our high-yield innovation helped us submit 10 patent applications in 2010, while another 10 were approved that same year.
- Top-ranked: We are 68th in the nation among institutions that are America’s best in social mobility, research and service.
- Economic Engine: We contribute nearly $1 billion annually to Idaho’s economy.
- Inclusive culture: We have outreach activities for non-traditional and minority students, including military veterans and their families, and Latino youth.
- Environmentally conscious: We help Idaho communities fulfill their visions for sustainable growth and development through the University’s Building Sustainable Communities Initiative and Extension programs.
- A legacy of leading: We have awarded more than 100,000 degrees.